Saturday musing

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Don Castavez, May 12, 2018.

1. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Jerry Stovall is getting number retired. Skip is getting a statue. Honors well deserved . Stovall was a bit before my time . Nonetheless, it seems a current of savoring the past has enveloped the program.
    Anybody on South Stadium Drive looking to the future?
    When I was a kid in late 1960’s .LSU was all about nostalgia. There wasn’t much focus on the present or the future. Everybody seemed to just watch the Cannon run back and sigh.
    Has that mentality returned?
    Remember what Tony Soprano said, ‘Remember when ‘ is the lowest form of conversation.’

TigerTap and lsu-i-like like this.
  2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The Imperialism of College Football.

3. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

All that shit is not for me.

Looking back is for those who have anything to look forward to.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Did a new goat move to Bunkie?

kcal and lsu-i-like like this.
  5. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Turtle bruh.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Great post. Was thinking about this when they announced Stovall's jersey reitirement. Don't forget Bob Pettit's statue. While both are legit, more Pettitt imo, these things should have been done in the 1970's or early 1980's.

Petitt last played basketball at LSU in 1954. You'd have to have been born in 1944 or before, to see him play his Senior year. Guess LSU TaF & BOS are targeting the mid to late 70's year old fans. I suppose better late than never.

Bayou Tiger and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Stovall was my hero. Got my dad to take me to watch LSU play in Chapel Hill while he was on team. It was like divine intervention. LSU had not played UNC in years, if ever, and it was many years until they played again.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Bayou Tiger likes this.
  8. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I remember that game it was on TV. LSU took their white jerseys for the game be cause UNC players were wearing their "Carolina blue" jerseys. I think it was the TV guys who who stepped in because Carolina blue is a very light blue and there was not enough contrast between the teams jerseys. It was too late to get the purple jerseys from the campus so they had to go to a local source for the jerseys. They didn't have enough time to get everyone's sizes so the just bought like all XL or XXL solid purple jerseys, put white numbers on them and pressed on. It was funny seeing the smaller guys, like the wide receivers in the huge jerseys, they tied the shirts in the back to make them fit better (think Hooter's girls). As I recall we won the game pretty handily.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Divine.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

That’s cool. I was not aware and, LSU won handily. My dad was a manager at a textile plant and he got tickets from a vendor, on the 50, probably 20 rows up, on Carolina side. I cheered LSU the whole game. I’m sure my dad was embarrassed.