Saints vs Rams NFCCG thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Jan 16, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Watching GMFB on NFL Net just now. The topic was "something from your childhood about the NFL playoffs that today's kids wouldn't understand." One talked about the old Bud Bowl series commercials, one talked about the fact that the Patriots weren't always a dynasty, etc. Here's mine: grew up in New Orleans. Super Bowl in New Orleans. My dad set up an antennae on the roof tall enough to catch a Baton Rouge TV station, because the Super Bowl was blacked out in New Orleans.

ParadiseiNC, Bengal B and furduknfish like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't remember a Superbowl being blacked out but Saints games that were not sold out 72 hours from kicked were blacked out in Baton Rouge as well as New Orleans. Some people had antennas to be able to watch on a Lafayette station.

ParadiseiNC and didit like this.
  3. mctiger

I never saw a Saints home game on TV until we moved to Morgan City in '75 and could see them on the Lafayette stations. But we had season tickets from '69 through '75. I don't know that the 72 hour rule even existed then; think it was just a given that home games were blacked out. But also, Tulane Stadium seated 81,000; that was a tough sellout.

KyleK likes this.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

The intent of the rule was to make locals go to the game if they wanted to see it. If the game was sold out, there was no need for a blackout, which extended (I think) 100 miles in all directions from NOLA.

5. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

The blackout area used to go all the way to the Jackson/Harrison County line in MS. we live just inside the NW corner of Jackson county so outside the blackout area and on the black out games when I was a kid there was always a crowd coming to the house to watch the game from the parts of the family that lived in Harrison county.

6. didit

didit Veteran Member

1. Agreed mostly but we did shut Zeke down, 2. Agree, we'll have to work here, 3. See#2, 4. The Rams secondary is not good. Whoever Peters is covering should go off and Aqib is not a shut down corner, plus cantguardmike is beast... Ginn being back will help a lot... If Drew were more accurate last week early, ginn would've had a TD on the first play. .. and I haven't even mentioned ak41 yet...
    I was more worried going into the Philly game than this one for some reason... Still should be a tough game though, hopefully with us coming out the winner... Who Dat...

KyleK likes this.
  7. didit

didit Veteran Member

My Gramps had one of those big ass dishes that look like the space station in his yard lol... so we'd go to his house to watch... If they extended the blackout range to Saturn we still would've been able to watch.... oh, the other programs that big ass dish caught was all the pron... ;):)
    BOT - I remember sometimes some local company would purchase the last remaining tickets so the game could be shown locally... I suspect that's how there's so many cowgirl fans. . When the Saints weren't on, they'd put the cowgirl game on.. .

Bengal B likes this.
  8. mctiger

We had one of those dishes too, but that was later. The blacked out SB I'm talking about was in the early 70's. The only people who had those dishes back then were cable companies and NASA.

Richdog likes this.
  9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

hopefully they shook off the lay-off rust last week

didit likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member