Saints @ Bucs

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by fanatic, Dec 29, 2014.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I noticed no one started a game thread and I was debating whether or not I really wanted to, but there's a couple of things about the game that need to be said, so WTF.

First, Saints go out on a winning note and are probably feeling good about themselves, but they shouldn't. Despite what the Bucs said, it was a total tank job. They were playing 3rd and 4th stringers the entire game, so they obviously wore down in the 4th. 3 more pics for Drew against those scrubs, so if it wasn't obvious to anyone before, it is now, his better days are behind him. He's no longer able to carry the team or impose his will to win on his teammates and/or opponents.

The entire organization, from Loomis on down to jock washers needs a total evaluation, but don't look for things to get any better next year, as the salary cap is basically locked in on 4 players (Brees, Graham, Evans, and Byrd). Brees definitely needs to restructure his deal because there's no way he earned his money this year. I think Graham has been hurt most of the year, so that's why he played so poorly the 2nd half of the season. Probably need to think about releasing Colston and Evans to free up cap space and go after help on both sides of the line.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Breed has expressed a willingness to restructure. Restructuring, as in the case of Tom Brady, doesn't mean he will get less money. It's the same amount spread over more years. It frees up some immediate cap space and there are probably tax advantages for the player.

I would like for the Saints to keep Ingram but I don't see how they can pay him without going over the cap.

3. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Saints need to draft a qb. If Payton is serious about not covering problems with band-aids, then qb is the starting point.

fanatic likes this.
  4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I'm not so sure. DB threw for just a hair under 5K yards again. I know he threw some bonehead INTs, and wasn't as sharp on his long throws, but some of that is an aging Colston, double teaming of Graham, and no serious replacement for Sproles. Shore some of that up in the receiving corp, and Brees tops the league this year. I'm not saying he's DB of 2009, but I don't think he's ready for retirement either. I think he's got another 2-3 good years left. Definitely agree its time to start grooming a replacement, though.

Cajun Sensation and fanatic like this.
  5. b_leblanc

He's 35. It's past time to draft an understudy.

diamondheadtiger and ParadiseiNC like this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

@b_leblanc Not liking Griffin as a possible successor?

7. b_leblanc

Another band-aid I'm afraid.

fanatic likes this.
  8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

As captain obvious might say, elite QBs are rare in the NFL. While I agree it's probably time to start looking for the heir apparent, just look at the history of the position in the team's history. Easier said then done.

b_leblanc likes this.
  9. b_leblanc

Agreed, Captain Obvious lol. Of course, it wasn't just Brees, everything came together perfectly at just the right time. Defense, playcalling, execution, etc. That 09 team was feared. That team caught the NFL off guard. Payton's offensive genius innovation seems to have taken a step back. Contracts of Brees and Graham hurt the team. QB's are hit and miss all the time. For every player that makes it to elite status there's 1000 we never heard of. 35 is ancient in the NFL. The saints are one old man injury away from starting Ryan Griffin. Maybe Bobby Hebert has stayed in shape perhaps?

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is Brett Favre in shape?