Rumor: Ja'Marr Chase opting out

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Brian, Aug 30, 2020.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

So does this become the norm? I see some of the BR media making the same case and implying it might have been smart for him to sit this year, covid or none. I'd hate to think we're getting to a climate where guys will sit their third years because they showed so well in year 2. Of course, I never thought we'd see a climate where players would skip a bowl game just to avoid getting hurt.

Brian and lsu-i-like like this.
  2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

It really is a shame but it does seem to be heading that way. The only hope I have is that it only happens to the truly elite sophomores like Chase or Micah Parsons.

On a separate note, I would 100% have preferred Chase to play this year. But I won’t mind seeing more of Trey Palmer and Kayshon Boutte this year. The talent we have coming in at WR this year and next is unbelievable. Hopefully the silver lining is that kids see they can come to LSU, get early playing time, and be highly sought prospects.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. mctiger

Even without Chase, LSU is not hurting at WR at all. But I would love for Brennan to have had that security blanket. Marshall is going to have to step up and be that guy, but for the offense to really work, Brennan is going to have to spread the ball around more than Joe had to last year. That's where his relative inexperience is going to be a factor.

tzanghi likes this.
  4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

If guys abandon the team in this manner, should they be excluded from participation in events such as next springs pro day?

5. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Very well said. That’s what I think the key to this year’s team is in a nutshell: inexperience. Can the guys mature quickly in the first three games enough to let their talent do the work in the tough match ups? We have the talent, no doubt.

mctiger likes this.
  6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Definitely the new norm, sadly. It is an inevitable thing with college not paying. I still don’t know college football worked as well as it does tbo. It’s much more of a risk for 1st round-type guys. Also, today’s mentality is a huge factor. The WW2 generation was the greatest and it’s been a decline since. People felt a sense of duty and service to their country- to each other really. That’s the opposite today. Same as with college fb. The sense of pride and honor to represent your school and community is easily overshadowed by the civil unrest, COVID and the chance of injury when 1/2 the country isn’t even playing.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  7. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I don't think it's the norm in that it'll be widespread and I 100% think without the pandemic he's playing. No doubt in my mind there. But this year isn't Normal and maybe we never get back to that again.

We're going to face this question next year with Derek honestly.

Look, I view it like this.

Question.

If you bought a winning lottery ticket for 35 million dollars, but you find out you cannot cash it for a year.

Do you put it in a safe somewhere or do you keep it in your wallet everyday?

Honest answers, please.

Very few guys are so good they'll have zero doubts they'll be a top 5 pick even not playing a year.. that's just so rare.

I think Lawrence had he destroyed us in the title game like he did Bama faces a different reality than us beating him down and him looking shaky, inaccurate, etc

He's facing questions he never faced before, so he has a lot to prove even if he'd be first overall sitting out. If he'd won does he return? The selfish thing is for Chase to play, but he's putting his family and future generations ahead of his own personal desire to play. We saw Delpit lost a ton of money playing through injury this past year..

tzanghi and Bengal B like this.
  8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

no way to replace chase but if boutee or palmer step up, it lets LSU sell the 'next man up' opportunity..... no one has more to gain than mcnath.... also, don't forget baby megatron at TE lining up wide

Brian likes this.
  9. mctiger

From what I'm hearing, Gilbert will be a TE in name only, he's lining up wide almost exclusively.

kcal likes this.
  10. JaxTigFan

JaxTigFan Founding Member

The Cancel Culture can work both ways.