Rivals: Top 25 Spring Preview

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Feb 15, 2007.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

LOUISIANA STATE

[​IMG]
    Spring practice starting date: Feb. 23
    Spring game: March 24
    Top returner: DT Glenn Dorsey: He made the surprising decision to return after earning All-America honors last season. If he repeats his 2006 success, Dorsey should be one of the first five players taken in next year's NFL Draft.
    Player on the verge: WR Brandon LaFell: Although LaFell caught only five passes last year, he sure made them count. He averaged 28 yards per reception and scored two touchdowns, including a 58-yard score in the Sugar Bowl victory over Notre Dame. Now that Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis have departed, LaFell should have more chances to show off his big-play ability.
    Impact newcomer: RB Richard Murphy: This redshirt freshman's explosiveness should help him find a role in a backfield that already includes Keiland Williams, Alley Broussard and Jacob Hester.
    The big question: How much will the Tigers miss JaMarcus Russell? Matt Flynn starred in a 2005 Peach Bowl victory and Ryan Perrilloux is a former five-star prospect. However, neither candidate is nearly as proven as Russell.

Check the rest of the top 25 here:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=642295

1 person likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fair assessment.

3. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Am I the only one who wants Perrilloux to start next season? I guess Flynn's ok, but this kid is supposed to be a star.

1 person likes this.
  4. tenebrism

tenebrism Founding Member

well are you wanting him to start only because he's "supposed to be a star?"

if so what qualities of him do you expect to be displayed?

flynn by all accounts throws more accurately. flynn is actually faster and more mobile than perrilloux. flynn obviously has more experience and flynn is a senior. the only thing is that rp might have a stronger arm than flynn, but i doubt that.

flynn will be the starter and that is most definitely the right decision.

5. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

5th year senior vs anybody less than a 5th year senior

the 5th year senior wins.

Matt Flynn was Offensive MVP in the Peach Bowl in a massacre of Miami

What has Perrilloux done?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I want them to compete for the start and may the best man win. I hope they both play a lot.

7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I hope RP plays a lot next season. That would mean we're blowing teams away. :grin:

2 people like this.
  8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I agree that Flynn will be the starter for many reasons. Flynn might be a tad bit faster but I hear RP has more agility and big play ability. RP does have a slightly stronger arm and is deadly with the 30 yard strikes. Give him another year learning the offense and some reps during the season and he will be an explosive QB for 2 years with the tiger offensive weapons.

Flynn is better with the touch passes and is very accurate all around. Flynn also has the JR quality of buying time in the pocket but keeping his shoulders sqare at the target WR. He is more of a north and south runner with busted plays and therefore allows him to get more yards when he find the right hole.

I hope we use them both in games with different offensive looks depending on the situation. I assume we will see them both in on the same play a few times to throw off the defense.

If Lee catches on like we expect and gains valuable lessons from the 2 QBs in front of him we wont have to worry about our QB play for many years.

Geaux Tigers

9. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Another big question is, Will Keith Zinger return at Tight End? If he does not, what roll will Richard Dickson and Mitch Joseph play? Dickson will likely be the starter, but if he is still underweight Joseph could take over the starting position. Considering how much Crowder uses the Tight End in his offensive schemes, this is a critical position.