Ricks most likely coming off the bench

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Aug 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

It appears Ricks has not done enough yet to earn a starting spot in the secondary and it's being reported that Alabama will start the season with the same corners that started the NC game. Some have pointed to his injury as a reason, but there's been a lot of chatter that Ricks has not lived up to expectations. Ricks apparently has shown flashes of greatness, but his poor technique and reaction to the ball has led to him being out of position a lot. Listening to the radio shows, I think the Alabama coaching staff is a little disappointed with how things have played out with Ricks. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

mctiger likes this.
  2. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Why are we (LSU fans) not surprised. He showed flashes of potential when he was here (same as Arik Gilbert), but he was a prima donna (same as Gilbert). I am glad both are gone and now someone else’s problem.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

And again, to my earlier point, this is what happens when you pay people BEFORE you get the work out of them. I'm not a bit surprised and I'd double down that it will happen again and again and again at any school. Exactly why I'd triple down that the maggies paid for a bus load of shit with that "paid for class". It was a horrible idea when it was introduced and an even worse idea after implementation. Goodbye College Football, dying on the vine.

4. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

You're right, we shouldn't be surprised. I will say the Gilbert thing caught me off guard a little bit. He had an incredible season and seemed like a great teammate and then all of sudden everything came off the rails. I'm not surprised at all about Boutte!

5. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Don't be fooled. Eli Ricks will be a Starter in Game 2. This is Saban's 'punishment' for his arrest earlier this year. Was just picked, 2 weeks ago as Preseason ALL SEC.

MobileBengal likes this.
  6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Agree. He will be a first rounder.

Perple likes this.
  7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I don't know about that. Preseason doesn't mean squat! I have a close friend that is a long time football coach in Alabama and he's spoken to a lot of coaches around the state and he said he wouldn't be surprised if Ricks didn't play much or transferred out. I'm not saying that will happen, but high school coaches have a tight knit fraternity, so they know a lot more about the inner workings than the average fan.

IMO, I think Ricks thought he would immediately be given the starting spot upon his arrival, but soon realized that Alabama had some very talented DBs and he was going to have to earn everything he got. If you notice listening to Saban, he doesn't ever mention Ricks and that's telling. I sense that Saban is not overly impressed with Ricks so far!

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

“I think that Eli sort of with the injuries that he had and the time that he was off,” Saban said Sunday, “it was really a more difficult transition for him physically, emotionally, mentally, to come from where he was, to where he needs to get to be a kind of player that he wants to be.”

“I think that sometimes when you go through all those things, it can affect your confidence a little bit because you get frustrated and struggle because you’re not used to being in the kind of condition that you once were,” Saban said of Ricks. “No fault of his, but he had some difficult circumstances to overcome with the injuries and so forth. But he is making very, very good progress physically and on the field in terms of grasping the system and having a better understanding of what’s required of him to be a good player.

9. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

If Saban thinks Ricks will help them win, he will play him. It doesn’t matter if Ricks has direct orders not to run or he will die, Saban WILL play him. Just so the Ws are collected.

Perple likes this.
  10. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

"having a better understanding of what’s required of him to be a good player,” supports my point that Ricks thought he would just walk in and be given the keys to a starting position. I think for the first time in his life, he has to earn a position and will not just be given a spot. Ricks is not used to being held accountable, but with players just as talented as him walking the sidelines, he's going to have to prove every day he deserves the spot and so far he hasn't done that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.