Rex, do you call GW Bush your president?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by ikoikoiko, Jul 22, 2003.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Seven justices thought the Florida SC was in error there was just disagreement on how to remedy the situation.

You might need to check your reality.

Gore did not even contest the third county. THe FLA SC added it themselves

2. dallastigers

It does not matter how much you watched it. It is obvious by your statements that you need to open your eyes a little more.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Agreed dallastigers...

4. Rex

Rex Founding Member

So wrong, DallasTiger

You've misrepresented just about everything, and left out some very critical facts.

On November 16 the FSC issued an interim order as a result of a petition from 3 county canvassing boards, who had complained that the Nov. 14 ruling in Leon County Circuit Court which upheld the Nov, 14 made it impossible for them to conduct recounts as prescribed under Sec. 102.166 of the Florida election code. The FSC's interim order was that for the time being, the Leon County Court deadline of November 14 still applied. Gore had not filed any challenges yet to that lower court ruling.

What the Leon County Court said was that the Nov. 14 deadline still applied, and that Katherine Harris was free to use her discretion to accept recounts after that date, because there had been no written briefs nor oral arguments in front of the FSC at that time, nor any motion to overturn.

The FSC later would later rule that Katherine Harris abused her discretion. That she did is beyond any reasonable debate. While cutting off counties on November 14, she left the final certification open until November 18 for overseas absentee ballots. In light of the fact that she could not certify the election until November 18 anyway, and that a Florida statute subsequent to that deadline provision provided for recounts, she had no reasonable basis for denying the recounts except to politically deny the counties what the Legislature fully intended them to have. The FSC was correct to declare her actions "a clear abuse of discretion."

On November 17, upon a motion from Al Gore, the FSC enjoined Harris from certifying the election, pending briefs and arguments from Bush and Gore.

On November 21, in a unanimous ruling, citing the fact that the latter Florida statute which provided for recounts could not be eviscerated by an earlier statute, and that the Legislature could not have intended a meaningless recount statue, and that previous Florida court cases had asserted more than once that the will of the public as expressed by vote had primacy over hypertechnical adherence to deadlines, overturned the lower court, declared that Katherine Harris had abused her discretion, and ordered her to accept the recounts in her certified totals.

Yes, the FSC ruled for Gore, but they had sound statutory and legal precedent bases for doing so. They were correct. Katherine Harris was wrong.

So when you say "16th SC butts in but still lets lower court have decision. WHen lower court decides in Bush's favor they butt in again. Is this really honorable???????????" you misrepresent both the order of events, the nature of the FSC's involvement, and the number of times they were involved. Nobody had presented any arguments before them, and the lower court had nothing further to rule on for the FSC to "butt in again."

At the same time, the FSC gave the counties 5 days until November 26 to complete their recounts, a reasonable remedy, considering that the counties had stopped because Harris had told them they'd be wasting their time. Courts have the power, all across this country, to construct reasonable remedies to correct errors and injustices. It's what courts do.

On November 26, Harris refused to accept amended returns from Palm Beach County and recounted votes from Miami-Dade county, and certified the election without them. On the following Day, Gore filed a complaint in Sander Sauls's Leon County Court to have those votes included. Sauls, after asking that all ballots be delivered to his courtroom, and delaying the trial date for several days, didn't even look at them. He tossed out Gore's suit as "without merit." It was the opinion of most legal observers that his trial was more comedy than justice, and it was no surprise that the Florida Supreme Court overruled him, citing 4 substantial errors of Florida law he committed. I could list those 4 grievous errors, but I doubt you'd read them.

Again, the FSC ruled for Gore, but again they had solid statutory bases for doing so.

This, by the way, is not only my opinion, but the opinion of most lawyers in this country.

More to come....

5. dallastigers

I think by most lawyers you mean members of the Trail Lawyers Association (Ambulance Chasers).

The basis of my information was from newsites that is why there are quotes. Here is the whole summary.I skipped days, because I was just showing you that the FL SC did step in on favorable Bush decisions. Read that it is a SUMMARY of each day.

" November 7th- Election Day
    November 8th Early morning decision first in Bush's favor and then too close to count
    November 9th- Results from Florida show George Bush lead to be 1,784- thus automatically triggering a machine recount
    November 10th First recount shows George Bush ahead by 327 without counting absentee ballots. The Democrats request manual recounts in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Voulusia Counties
    November 11th- Palm Beach announces it will recount- Bush goes to federal court to bar the recount.
    November 12th- Volusia County begins recount. Democrats announce suit to filed in Seminole County against Republican absentee ballots
    November 13th- Federal court refuses to stop recount.- Florida election official announce that they will certify the election the next day- with the exception of absentee ballots- Democrats appeal decision-
    November 14th - District Court upholds the deadline but states further recounts can continue and may be included. State Secretary of State certifies results with a 300 Bush lead.
    November 15th- Broward County goes ahead with manual recount- Secretary of State Harrison refuses to accept additional votes based on recount
    November 16th State Supreme Courts says manual recount can continue, but lower court must decide if the secretary of state must include them
    November 17th Judge Terry Lewis says Harris can certify results, but the State Supreme Court puts a hold on that decision
    November 18th Overseas ballots are counted Bush lead now 930 votes
    November 20th- Arguments before Florida high court.
    November 21st- Florida High Court rules that recount can continue and should be certified on November 26th at 3PM
    November 22nd George Bush appeals to the US Supreme Court to stop the recount
    November 23rd Miami-Dade recount seems to come to an end
    November 26th Secretary of State Harris certifies Bush victory at 537 votes- without recount of Palm Beach, which is late and Miami-
    Dade that decides not to recount
    November 27th- Gore officially contests the results the results
    December 1- US Supreme Court hears arguments on the earlier extension of the date for recounts by Florida
    December 2nd Contest trail begins before Jude N Sander Sauls.
    December 4th The US Supreme Court orders clarification of earlier Florida Supreme Court decision
    December 5th Judge Sauls rules against Gore
    December 6th Gore appeals to Florida Supreme Court
    December 7th Oral arguments before Florida Supreme Court
    December 8th Florida Supreme Court orders manual recount in all of state where no votes were recorded
    December 9th US Supreme Court halts counting before hearing appeal
    December 10th Lawyers file briefs before Supreme Court
    December 11th Oral arguments before the court
    December 12th At 10 PM at night the Supreme Court rules that no further recounts can take place
    December 13th- Gore concedes."

If Gore can let it go I think you can too Rex.

You were wrong when you said the Florida Supreme Court never over turned a favorable Bush decision.
    You were also wrong in trying to call the FL SC honorable. Seven US SC justices said the Fl SC was wrong. SEVEN. They just differed on the remedy. That is in the ruling that I posted for you in case you still believe that the FL SC is the top court of this country. You are so far off in your beliefs that you are ignoring simple truths that we all have access to, and I guess you think we will never check up on our own. It is like you are practicing for a creative writing class with your posts here. You write good stories mixed in with facts. You then throw in your opinions as fact as well but do not back it up with anything but your own words. Your posts are often so out there that I actually have a good laugh reading them.

Most lawyers I know think the kind of opinions you keep writing here are jokes and are an embarrassment to their profession.

Are you just too CHICKEN to answer the questions about whether you would support Gore as your President if he had been in Bush's position? That has really been the point of this whole thing.

6. dallastigers

Rex this may fit your beliefs of our government ( that is if you call it your government)

7. dallastigers

I am going to start labeling Rex's posts as the reX-Files.

8. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

I call paranoia...

One who answers his own posts 3 times....

Texas Fried Chicken...
    "We only serve right wings and @**holes..."

9. dallastigers

Re: I call paranoia...

Biggles if you are talking about me please be clear do not hint around about it, but you may want to make sure that what you say makes sense. Just because you add another post does not mean you are answering your own post. Do not be stupid.

I would not take being called a right wing and an a** hole by someone like you an insult. Is that really the best you can do? I do find it admirable though that you are stepping in and defending your boyfriend (not that there is anything wrong with that).

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: Re: I call paranoia...

...If that's who you are.:D