REVISIT: Why did we lose to Florida & Auburn in Football?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TenTexLA, Apr 30, 2007.

1. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

I think we lost the Auburn game due to a combination of bad coaching decisions and bad calls. I thought so the day of the game, the day after, and still today. I think a change in either of those two above would have resulted in a win for the Tigers.

I didn't watch the Florida game. I woke up that day with a feeling that it wouldn't be pretty, so I just didn't turn on the tv. Good thing. I'd like to think that if we'd won the Auburn game that we'd have played better in the Florida game. I hate to lose, but it makes it a bit easier when the team plays really well and is in the game.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You should revisit how much talent they have as well. LSU is pretty much even in terms of talent with these 2 schools. We have a little more depth at certain positions, but we've got weaknesses too. Four first rounders is great, but then look how long it took before someone else was drafted.

It is not singular, it is bad calls. Auburn didn't have enough talented CBs to cover our passing attack consistently - bad game plan to not exploit that. However, all the bad calls came on passes so I understand wanting to keep the ball on the ground. Alley & JV were not getting the job done, due in part to OLine & freshman TE blocking, but none the less we should've tried one of the freshmen. When it comes down to it, Miles & Jimbo had faith in Russell to get the job done at the end of the game, but he didn't this time.

Pretty much. We had a great gameplan & were outplaying them at points, but we kept losing the momentum with turnovers. The team just didn't look mentally prepared.

3. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Woulda, coulda, shoulda ... :D

Well, that season is over. We've got a lot to look forward to this coming season. We have some tough games but most are played on our turf this time. The past is gone. :eek:ldskule:

4. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

florida was better and auburn cheated

5. swoop

swoop Founding Member

We aren't the only team in the SEC with top notch talent. Florida and Auburn recruit just as well as we do.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Georgia . . . Tennessee.

7. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Because they scored more points than we did. :hihi:

8. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Regardless of disputed calls in the Auburn game, we still had 2 VERY GOOD chances at winning at the very end. No excuses there. One way to avoid a disputable call is by executing the play without any doubt whatsoever, which is what we didn't do.
    And like someone said before, you could outgain any opponent, but on the road in the SEC (against at top 5 nonetheless) its the outcome that matters and who makes plays at the end. Just remember back to UGA 03, we got outgained badly but we got some key turnovers and scored just enough.

9. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

All great comments. This will help me sleep well tonight. It's difficult to see so many NFL first rounders and not have at least an SEC championship to show for it. I sure hope our coaching staff reviews all the breakdowns from last season with our players. If we can just rise to the next level of less mistakes and a tad better execution we should be impossible to beat next year. Man, it sure takes a lot to be a champion!

:crystal:

10. JakeTheTiger

JakeTheTiger Founding Member

Because they scored more points than we did.