Report: Ensminger to be named OC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jan 8, 2018.

1. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

No. 2013 LSU first SEC team to have 2 1,000 yard WRs a 1,500 yard rusher & 3,000 yard passer.

Chavis sucked that year.

LSU_4_LIFE, Pjoe and islstl like this.
  2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

True, the one year the offense was good enough to win the whole thing and we sucked way too much on defense.

3. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Yep, that's what I've been saying too.

islstl likes this.
  4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

FKing and the Board of Supervisors don’t give a fuck about football. I’d like to think Alleva/O are fired after 2018 if LSU sucks, but I don’t feel so sure. With failure, this move should be a death sentence. Fucking 180 from what A&M is doing. So disappointing.

Ensminger did do a pretty good job as interim, so hopefully our geriatric crew has one last hurrah and Eaux/Alleva are geniuses.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

so we paid Canada to leave for ensminger....let that sink in

LSU_4_LIFE, Brian and ParadiseiNC like this.
  6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

20170120_085733.jpg

7. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

From DandyDon.
    Pros:

• Coach Orgeron and Steve Ensminger have each other's utmost trust and know what it’s like to work with one another. Plus, Ensminger’s work ethic is second to none and there’s no doubt he would give it his all.

• Tons of experience: In Ensminger's 35 years of coaching, he’s held the title of Offensive Coordinator at McNeese State, Louisiana Tech, Texas A&M, Clemson, and Auburn before manning the interim OC role for LSU last year.

• A former LSU QB himself, Ensminger is known as a good developer of quarterbacks. He was one of the first to use the spread offense and did it with great success as quarterback coach at Georgia with QB Eric Zeier.

• For the most part, LSU’s offense came alive under Ensminger last year. In his eight games as LSU’s OC in 2016, the Tigers averaged 32 points per game and set multiple school records including the most yards in an SEC game (634 vs. Missouri) and the longest scoring play from scrimmage (Guice’s 96-yard TD run vs. Arkansas). They also set the school single-game rushing record on two different occasions (Fournette’s 284 yards vs. Ole Miss and Guice’s 285 yards vs. Texas A&M).

Cons:

• Ensminger hasn’t served as a permanent offensive coordinator in 20 years and was reluctant to take the job before. Other than last year’s stint, he hadn’t called plays since 1998.

• Coach Orgeron took a relatively low salary and promised to hire the best of the best coordinators. If Coach O thinks so highly of Ensminger, one can question why he wasn’t his first choice when it came to hiring a permanent OC.

• Ensminger’s LSU offense was shutout against Alabama and scored only 10 points against Florida.

• This could be a PR nightmare. With a brutal schedule in 2019, fans wouldn’t be as forgiving of a four- or five-loss season as they would if LSU made a flashy hire. Also, opposing coaches on the recruiting trail will portray this as LSU taking a step backward after a failure of a situation with Matt Canada. Both points make this is a huge risk for Orgeron.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

All great points. Concur with it fully. The 3rd con is my biggest concern, personally. We may look great and run up yards/points against inferior competition, but how will we fare against the big dogs? And, given our brutal schedule, if the answer to that question is subpar, next year could be s long one, and the beginning of the end. Having said that, it’s human nature to speculate the worse. Hopefully, CSE &CEO are up to the challenge and surprise us all.

9. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

Art Briles is 62. Chip Kelly and Rich Rod are both 54. Mike Leach and Bobby Petrino are both 56.

Age doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  10. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

Good point. Having said that, I am not sure we even saw Ensminger's offense. I'm pretty sure he was working with the playbook and offensive scheme we already had, just calling different plays. It's not like he could install a new offense in the middle of the season.

I'm not saying I'm in love with the hire, as I have already made my desire to go after Rod Smith known, but his past performance against Bama might not be the best bellwether.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    didit, ROY_LA_CA, Brian and 1 other person like this.