Rent Control

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by KyleK, Jun 27, 2012.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

There is a pretty lengthy debate going on about the federal govt raising the minimum wage. So, as an employer, the govt decides how much I have to pay an employee as a minimum. On the other end, as a landlord in certain locales, the govt decides how much I can charge for rent. WTF?

It's my property, I should be able to charge what the market will bear.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

most efficient way to destroy a city is rent control. its the reason the bronx burned in the 70's.

like all price controls, it not only doesnt do its intended job, it ruins both sides. it creates terrible housing shortages and destroys entire communities. it artificially raises prices of non-controlled rent, and landlords smetimes just give up on buildings rather than maintain them. another example of people like red ruining things becase they are desperate to feel like better people by siding with the group they imagine is oppressed (in this case renters) vs landlords, when the government should side with neither.

in fact rent control hurts me right now because i have to pay more than i would because rent control fucks up prices for everyone.

again, being unsophisticated and attempting to control things you do not understand is immoral.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Immoral? Martin....you're a believer !!!!!

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

morality exists independent of your bronze age mythology. the goal of life is happiness. you should aspire to create happiness for yourself and those around you. to interfere with others unnecessarily is immoral.

gyver likes this.
  5. KyleK

Martin, what does an average 1 br apt rent for controlled vs non rent controlled, in your neck of the woods?

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i have no idea, nobody i know has a rent controlled apartment. everyone i know is relatively young and mostly not from new york, not having a chance to settle into a rent controlled place. everyone i know pays market rates.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

here is an example:

http://gothamist.com/2012/03/05/should_uws_woman_with_hamptons_week.php

m best friend in new york (also went to lsu, i watch the games at his house.) lives one block south of this place in the article. his rent for a two bedroom is 3800. a one bedroom in the neighborhood, according to the article is 2600 (this is the upper west side, a nice neighborhood but not considered cool by the downtown crowd.) so the rent controlled place is 1000. i would kill your grandma for that place at that price. its insane.

i live in astoria so my rents are like only 60% of upper west side.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. KyleK

That is nuts. And to think the place next door is not rent controlled. I guess you have to grease the right palms to make sure you don't own one of the rent controlled ones.

This is section 8 for rich rentors.

9. KyleK

How do you get a rent controlled apt?

My brother in law in SF is in a rent controlled apt overlooking the bay. Unbelievable views. He told me they will never leave because their rent is so low. F'n criminal.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

another buddy of mine lives in chelsea (this buddy is also from baton rouge!), a very nice neighborhhod (most famous for being the gay neighborhood. his place is 3900. he has a roof deck and i always joke that i will get married there someday. its spectacular. across the street they are constructing a public housing ting with subsidized apartments for poor fellas. i think they will pay well under half what he pays, and generally be jerkasses and not deserve what they get. my friend is a crazy liberal and i taunt him about it because he cant help but be annoyed by the poor minorities living directly across the street for a fraction of his rent. this is sort of like the government paying for poor people to live in beverly hills. chelsea is an elite neighborhood. its crazy. and the more non-market rate housing in the area, the less market rate housing, so the rent is more, even as the undesirables move in.