Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Indiana

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Mar 30, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have a hard time giving a shit about their issues at all. Nothing they do affects me in the least. I don't understand why religious people get so torn up about them.

Tiger in NC and gyver like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes but would it be legal? Could it be considered discrimination to charge that much more? Where is @wjray when we need a legal opinion?

3. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Looks like the good governor is going to have the bill revised to ensure no one can be legally discriminated against. If he follows through with his pledge to do so I will applaud him for listening to the outcry of people and being pliable enough to make those changes. If nothing else, he sounds like a good politician.

Tiger Exile likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are all heathens and are going to Help. Here is what America's Best Christian has to say about gay marriage.

Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else:

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

That's the Hebrew bible. Seriously, only mentioned once in Christian bible

6. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Homosexuality is not natural but if guys want to suck each others dick then that's their prerogative.
    As for the law forcing someone to serve a person/ group that goes against their religious or moral belief is bullshit.
    If someone comes into the shop and I don't want to work for them then I'm not. They can kiss my ass.
    If a woman wants a Dr to give her an abortion and he won't because of his beliefs. She can kiss his ass.
    Same with a Jewish baker refusing to bake a cake for a skinhead wedding or birthday. How about a gay baker being forced to bake for Westboro Church members? That's gonna go over like a turd in a punch bowl.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Since when is being able to purchase a cake or flowers from anyone that I demand sell them to me a constitutionally protected right? That is a private service that, if I am a baker or florist, I should have the freedom to sell as I please. So long as the bakers and florists of America don't organize to institutionally deny gay couples their cakes or flowers, this shouldn't be a problem. Personally, if I were one half of a gay couple planning a wedding, I don't know that I'd want to eat a cake made by someone who felt they were forced to bake it for me.

gyver likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In this context, that's kind of homoerotic, amigo. :D

The problem is that after he kisses your ass, he can sue you. Is it worth coughing up $8,000 to avoid selling a widget to a drag queen? If you don't like him, take his money.

A phony scenario. Doctors who perform abortions advertise and all patients will be served. Doctors who don't do abortions can decline because it ain't their specialty. All they have to do is say, "I don't do that procedure, go see Dr. Joe". But if they ever say, I won't treat you because you are gay, black, female, or dressed funny, then it's off to lawyer land.

Another scenario that just never happens. Nobody tries to force a baker that hates them to cook their cake. Who would want to eat it? What did he stir the batter with? did he put in his special ingredient? Nobody tries to force a fundamentalist Christian to shoot pictures of their gay wedding. How good would they turn out? Who would give a hater an opportunity to screw up their wedding? Ten percent of all photographers and bakers are gay and they can't be hard to find. Hell, 99% of the straight bakers and photographers will gladly take gay people money if it is green. People who turn away business end up with failing businesses, especially if they openly discriminate in the process and cause dozens more perfectly acceptable customers to choose their smarter competitors instead.

Bottom line: These laws solve no problems that they are intended to remedy because there just ain't much of a problem in the first place. Instead they will be creating problems and making money for lawyers.

9. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Elaine Huguenin would disagree with you...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/19/u...h-in-refusal-to-photograph-ceremony.html?_r=0

10. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Making money for lawyers. You hit that nail on the head Red.
    That's what a lot of these laws are made for it seems. Hoping some one gets offended over nothing and sues. Lawyers get 40+% and your class action gets to split a percentage with 5000 other people.