Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Indiana

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Mar 30, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Oh, I needed a good laugh. Let me 'splain something . . . boinking between students and faculty goes on every day and LSU doesn't do one damn thing about it. Sexual coercion, stalking, harassment, etc. are conduct code violations and are taken very seriously, of course, and could cost someone his job. But relations between two consenting adults is perfectly legal and it happens a lot.

What point? I was being sarcastic. Both of you need to find a sense of humor.

2. red55

No it isn't. Monica never complained or objected, she never even reported it. She was a willing participant and an adult who was not being coerced, her job was not threatened, and she never reported any intimidation at all.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

At least you are consistent. I don't really agree with you but I'll give you that, you haven't wavered.

4. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

So you are saying it is ok by LSU for you to have sex with one of your students as long as it in consensual? Quid pro quo isn't a concern at LSU anymore?

5. red55

Quid pro quo is inherent in any sexual relationship. But LSU must follow the law and also respect its employees privacy, despite any concerns. These students aren't minors, they are adults and these things happen. Don't get me wrong, LSU has policies that they adhere to regarding sexual coercion, office and class misconduct, etc. that can get you fired, as I mentioned earlier. But they can't prohibit two consenting adults from having a relationship outside of their workspace just because they met at LSU. People have been fired for sexual coercion when complaints are made and documented, of course.

Understand that most of these relations are not a predatory 70-year old Boyd Professor and a naive 18-year old nubile. Most are between a 26-year-old Instructor and a 22-year old grad student, both quite smart and hot for each other. But May-October relationships do happen. I know two tenured professors who married one of their graduate students, 20 years younger.

People need to be smart. I have never dated anyone that is subordinate to me, both to avoid the appearance of impropriety and to allow no one to have any kind of leverage over me. I don't teach in an academic department. I manage special projects in a research department. My GA's work for me. Most graduate assistants in the building are employees as well as students and most of them don't report to me. And they aren't all naive 20-somethings either. Many GA's are quite savvy divorcees and empty nesters in their 30's and 40's who are back in school to get a better education and meet some men with more style and substance, God bless them.

Alas, I have become invisible to undergraduates anyway.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Here comes the rich man in his big long limousine​

Here comes the poor man all you got to have is green​

Here comes the banker and the lawyer and the cop​

One thing for certain it ain't never gonna stop​

When it all gets too heavy​

That's when they come and go​

With only one thing in common​

They got the fire down below​

It happens out in vegas happens in moline​

On the blue blood streets of boston​

Up in berkeley and out in queens​

And it went on yesterday and it's going on tonight​

Somewhere there's somebody ain't treatin' somebody right​

7. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

So that makes it ok? I am confused...

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You may work in a corporate environment where any fraternization is frowned upon but it is still going to happen. I don't see anything wrong with 2 single people over the age of consent getting it on as long as there is no coercion or intimidation involved.

I'm sure there are people right where you work who are having sexual relationships.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

vballs a hot blonde.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

She and I wouldn't last 10 minutes, she'd get tired of the cologne covering up the weed scent and her halo would immediately be brought into question the second she was seen with a dude like me. It'd be like a good looking James Carville and a good looking Mary Matlain.