Reid's comment about the defense's play

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 25, 2011.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

"We have to disguise things better. When we get back on campus, Chief (defensive coordinator John Chavis) is going to tear us a new one."

TigerBait.com - Defense weathers storm

As great as they are, they know they can't rest on their laurels.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Glad to see they know there is room to improve. They definitely showed some holes in the armor. Pass rush has to improve. Have to give WVU some credit, but they made it look too easy at times. The DB's dropped quite a few int's that would have slowed WVU down considerably. I imagine they will get things fixed.

3. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Too many missed tackles vs WV, and a number of "almost" interceptions...

:geauxtige

4. cwatsn

cwatsn Loyal Servant

G. Smith could have had mail delivered to him as long as he was hanging back there in the pocket.

We will hear a lot of "the West Virginia game" references from here on out concerning our vaunted D.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I re-watched the game last night. I don't think he was hanging back in the pocket as long as it seemed he did. His quick release was the key.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

That has GOT to be corrected! The "almost" interceptions you can live with. I don't want our DB's simply going for EVERY highlight pick they can and sacrifice coverage in the process. Our DB's are talented enough that those INT's will come--especially if our opponents continue to play from behind and forced to throw.

But the tackling! ...UGH! Terrible in large portions of the game.

7. ExoticGlass1

ExoticGlass1 Founding Member

Reids comments on twitter after watching game film showed he's very determined to get better, some of what he said was he was imbarrased by some of the mistakes and missed tackles.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Good to hear. We can handle Florida's deep passing game. But Rainey and Demps will give us nightmares if we can't make open-field tackles after the catch, because they will take it to the house if they get a step on someone.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Most of that was by design. I personally hate bend but don't break defenses, but it made sense in this game. WVU has no running game, and that is what kills them once they get in the red zone. You can put up 1,000 passing yards a game, but if you can't punch it in the end zone it does you no good. So you sit back in coverage and rush 4, and if you make Geno put together 15-16 play drives by only giving up the underneath routes, you increase the chance of a mistake or turnover, and that's what happened.

The 3rd quarter showed why I hate that strategy. We started giving up big plays, and we allowed Geno to get hot. It's also inexcusable that we didn't get to Geno AT ALL (cleanly) the entire game. But that's why these games can be beneficial, it helps you identify areas that need work, and there are several.

10. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Aside from smiling at the Haters who picked WVU to upset us after a 4 touchdown beatdown we layed on them, the only other thing I am taking away from this, is that now our defense has something work on to get better