Reggie Bush value to Saints astronomical

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, May 28, 2010.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I agree. Reggie's worth to the team can't be measured in stats and don't kid yourself, he will be tough to replace. I'd like to see him stay, but he's going to have to take a pay cut to do it.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Reggie never needs to return a punt again. He either fumbles or gets hurt. He needs to get some stick em also.

3. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Wrong, I didn't hate Reggie back at USC. I pull for LSU and was ambivalent as to how Bush or USC did unless it affected LSU. You are reciting something I already know as to how the Saints use Bush and how defenses align against us. I say recited because it isn't an original thought on your part, as the talking heads have been spouting it out to praise Reggie in an effort to sell the game. My point of contention is not how Reggie is used, but that he is replaceable. Here's a little recent Saint history to back my case. Who was one of the Saints best return men before the great Bush? Remember the "beer man", we got him off a Budweiser truck. :D Our best back last year was that great heisman hopeful out of Illinois, Pierre Thomas. This year Chris Ivory looks like a stud. We drafted him from that football powerhouse, Tiffin was it? I realize I should be sure he came from Tiffin since they will probably be in a BCS bowl this year. I'm sure if we targeted a speed back that can catch out of the backfield via the draft or free agency we would never, ever be able to replace Reggie. At least not for $8 mil.:rofl:

4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

and don't forget about Julius Jones. he is in the mold of Reggie, except he knows how to actually run downfield. we have had him for half the season so far, and as he gets more and more comfortable with the playbook, he could be our "RBush" threat. i like Reggie, but would not miss him that much if he does not agree to a pay cut.

5. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

i never said reggie was our best back and we could and have had backs play better than him while he has been here. Also, u downgrade the play of PT, while at Illinois. u know that 1st rd draft pick mendenhall well he only started when PT left. And Ivory was at a D1 school but could stay awake during meetings. Now, back to bush u only say I recite info because if is facts. The same argument can be said about you and the way you recite stats of past and present players. Will we have rb's and SP teams players put up bigger numbers, yes! But no single player spreads the def and opens things up like Reggie. You agreeing w/ me or not aint going to change my mind. Is he worth the money, As I have said before No. But, he is NOT as easily replaceable as you believe he is.

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

That's what people with bad stats say :yelwink2:

7. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Offenses are always changing as defenses adjust to them though. We may not need to replace Bush exactly, but maybe move towards a new direction with a new 3rd down back. People fall in love with the few big highlight plays that Reggie makes but disregard the small things that he doesn't do as a running back or punt returner. Well, those small things turn into big things when you're not winning, which luckily for us, is not the case anymore.

I see what you're saying, but don't make Reggie out to be someone bigger than he really is. Every single player in the NFL can be replaced, it's a professional football league. The backups are waiting to show what they've got.

8. tboy

tboy Founding Member

You read my mind.:D

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Exactly right. You don't always have to outrun someone to get the job done. You can run over them also, instead of running out of bounds. You can follow your blocking, and always try to drive forward instead of crumbling to the ground in the fetal position before you are touched. You can protect the ball instead of swinging it wildly away from your body. You can pick up the blitz and be stout enough to protect your QB. You can block down field to spring big plays. You can execute the fundamentals of the game and play the way you are supposed to play to help your team win instead of trying to leap in the air and make the sportcenter highlights.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Well, that's what his head coach says, so I guess you're calling out Sean Payton??

Actually, I misspoke. He said that Reggie's value cannot be measured in stats alone and that he's a match up nightmare that opposing DC's always have to prepare for. That's not verbatim, but you get the point.

If you're a true Saints fan, then surely you've heard him say this. Bottom line is that Reggie Bush makes the Saints better; even if he hasn't been dominating like he was in college.