Recruiting reforms coming soon

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by shane0911, Apr 17, 2017.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Looks like an early signing period is all but locked up. The other big ones are the approval of the 10th assistant coach and the no longer being able to hire "analyst" or whatever the hell the gumps do to cheat the system. It only means they will just find another way, right @TerryP ?

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

No more two a days I heard. Is this news. Sorry to divert.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Saban was for doing away with two a days

4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

NCAA approves proposal overhauling college football recruiting
    http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...overhauling-college-football-recruiting-rules

... allows for a 10th full-time assistant coach, effective on Jan. 9
    ... prospects will be allowed to take official visits, paid for by the school, from April 1 of their junior year through June, (before official visits were not allowed before Sept. 1 of a prospect's senior year), effective Aug. 1.
    ... an early signing period, was not part of the agenda this week,.. will vote in June on a mid-December early signing period, it is expected to pass
    ... strict rules to prevent schools from hiring anyone associated with a prospect for noncoaching positions, effective immediately
    ... reduces when coaches can conduct camps from two 15-day periods in June or July to 10 days in June, effective immediately and essentially ends the lengthy, nationwide satellite camp tours
    ... the limitation of annual scholarships to 25. This is a move to do away with oversigning and to reduce the practice of grayshirting
    ... create an expanded summer dead period for the entire month of August and from Monday before the last Wednesday of June through July 24. This allows coaches to take a break from the recruiting trail

:cool: unclear to me is the total effect regarding shadow coaches,.. does it reduce or eliminate them?
    note,.. I condensed/edited these rule changes, for details see link

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    shane0911 likes this.
  5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Your frustration is palatable. Understandable, as well. I'd be a little pissed if the school I'm a fan of had the ability to improve their support system and chose not to do so. I can understand schools that are for limits to staff sizes when they can't afford it (even though they find themselves in the red season in and season out.) But, LSU can't claim that.

Quite frankly, I expect this rule to be amended. The NCAA has literally cut off high school coaches from moving up the ol' "career ladder." They can be hired as on the field coaches, but not to an administrative/support positions. A very slippery slope they find themselves on right now.

Just as another example of how wrong this ruling is in its infancy...you realize this forbids high school coaches from working summer camps. It's idiotic. On one hand the NCAA doesn't want third parties involved in kids, camps, and recruiting but they've eliminated one of the staples that keeps these people away from high school kids.

I understand their thought process. They don't want a school to hire a coach just to get a kid to sign with a school. IE: Shea Patterson's saga. The crazy thing here is this. If this rule would have been in place several years ago Gus Malzahn wouldn't be coaching at Auburn. He'd have never received the Arkansas job offer. Jeremy Pruitt wouldn't be a defensive coordinator today. Hugh Freeze wouldn't be coaching right now.

All that said ...

I've no clue when it comes to most labor laws. I do wonder how a entity can rule certain people can't be hired if it's a move up in their careers. Again, no labor lawyer here ... but it certainly appears to go directly against the Sherman Act.

6. shane0911

You are as predictable as the sun, I knew you gumps wouldn't like it.

7. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

The ever-expanding college football coaching staff and how Nick Saban started it all
    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/expand...ng-staff-nick-saban-started/story?id=41046492

..... Jim McElwain is in his office on the Florida campus,.. He explains why he made expanding the support staff a priority when he was hired late in 2014, but he's not bullish on their current numbers. "We're far from having as many as a lot of people have," he says.

Not counting nine assistant coaches, there are 20 people listed in the staff directory.

.....Former Texas coach Mack Brown told CBS Sports he wanted to curb the 38-50 member staffs because "it's too big to be fair to everybody because all we would be doing is letting those that have money and those that will spend that money in football getting ahead of others."

..... Saban beefed up the Tide's organizational infrastructure, adding bodies to the personnel department and bringing in accomplished coaches to lend a hand wherever possible.

Getting an accurate number of everyone working in the Mal Moore Athletic Facility is difficult -- in 2012, there were 146 non-coaches on the Alabama athletic department payroll

..... Alabama moved another desk into its football offices. Former Philadelphia Eagles Vice President of Player Personnel Ed Marynowitz was looking for work, so Saban created a new position for him: Associate Athletics Director for Football.

The rich get richer every day.

:cool: Humongous shadow staffs, totally unfair, so unfair that it pisses me off,.. gives a huge advantage to the big programs, just a sleazy way to circumvent fair play.. this needs to be contained, limits need to be set.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Brian, didit and shane0911 like this.
  8. shane0911

See, I knew it was gumpitis. Bastards cheat at everything. Can't wait until they figure out they can't sign a 73 player class every year and just "count them back" anymore

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You paint a grim picture for the upward mobility of HS coaches but they can still get college coaching jobs. Instead of becoming an analyst at Bama or Ohio State they will just have to take on the field coaching jobs at D2 and D3 schools and work their way up.

As far as prohibiting them from working in summer camps you are probably right about it being some kind of legal violation. It's going to end up in court and make a lot of lawyers rich.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

LSU has a shadow staff as well and I don't see that going away due to the rules. Who can get placed on those staffs will and I agree it has become a shit show with many of the high school coaches pimping these kids.

shane0911 likes this.