recipes of the day 05/03/04.....what do they eat in the caribbean?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, May 2, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

Jamaican Shake

Ingredients :

1/4 scoop ice
    4 oz vanilla ice cream
    1/2 oz Grand Marnier
    1/2 oz kahlua
    1/2 oz amaretto
    2 oz milk

GARNISH
    Whipped cream

Method :
    Blend until smooth, top with whipped cream and serve.
    This recipe yields 1 serving.

Jamaican Tea

Ingredients :

1 oz Rum
    1 oz brown sugar simple syrup
    2/3 x sweet sour mix
    1/3 x coke

Method :
    Ice (shake) // rocks

Jamaican Vacation

Ingredients :

1 1/2 oz light rum
    splash of roses lime juice
    1/3 oz sweet and sour
    1/3 oz pineapple juice
    fill with 7up
    splash cherry mix on top

Method :
    Ice (shake) // rocks

2. snorton938

if you want this a little sweeter, you could add some brown sugar, molasses, or a little of both....

Jamaican Yam Casserole

Ingredients :

1 x 1-lb can yams -- drained
    1/2 med Banana -- thickly sliced
    1/4 cup Orange juice
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/8 tsp Pepper
    2 tbl Pecans -- coarsely chopped
    2 tbl Toasted flake coconut

Method :
    Start heating oven to 350 F. In a buttered 1-qt casserole, arrange yams, banana. Pour juice over all. Sprinkle with salt, pepper. Top with pecans and coconut. Bake, covered, 30 minutes.

and for those of you who just can't get it hot enough.....here is one for you..... :D

Kc's Grilled Killer Jamaican Party Beef From Hell

Ingredients :

2 lb Flank steak, or: skirt, top round
    1/2 cup Habanero peppers, (about 15 peppers), finely chopped or- 1 cup inner beauty hot sauce, (preferred)
    6 tbl Lime juice
    1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped, optional
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Method :
    1) Slice the flank steak on a slant as thinly as possible. Place each piece of steak between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound until 1/4 inch thick or about the thickness of a beer bottle cap. (This should result in rounds of steak 3 to 5 inches in diameter.) [Mine never look like this, but it doesn't really matter...]
    2. Make the hot pepper paste: In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Rub the steak rounds with about 2/3 of this paste and reserve the remainder.
    3. Grill the steak rounds over high heat for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until they are medium rare. Brush liberally with the remaining hot pepper paste. Fair warning: I really like hot stuff, and I find this to be just barely tolerable. (Of course, I make about a 1/2 recipe and eat it all myself for dinner, instead of as an appetizer.) The author of the book says
    "To this day I can count on one hand the customers who have eaten this dish and returned to eat it again." The last time I tried it, I used fresh Habanero peppers, and it was definitely the hottest version of it I've made. [Ross]

3. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

that's an Indian (from India, not Native American) dish Snort and it's very good

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ganja Cake

In keeping with the Carribean theme I found this recipe for ganja cake

Ganja Cake by Chef Ras Cojo Brumbley

Items needed:
    First go gather the leaves and buds from the best plants of the weed you've been growing in the mountains far away from the eyes of the police.

Preparation:
    Press the leaves into a Ganja cake. If you can get your hands on a good pressing machine it will pay big time for you when you want to ship lots of the cake to your friends and family.

Serving:
    Ganja cake is more of an appetizer than a meal. Everything tastes better with Ganja cake. People will eat bugs after having good Ganja cake. Come to Jamaica, and feel all right. I will sell you some Ganja cake.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ganja Butter

Title: Ganja Butter
    Author: Fr. L.D.Funquiebutt

Several years ago, in High Times Magazine there was a column by a guy named "Chef Ra" who used to do really tasty recipes for the injestion of Ganja. he had a real tasty spaghetti recipe that he called "Rasta Pasta".
    The key to cooking with pot is to NOT USE the green parts. The crunchy, dry, gritty leafy parts are what makes most recipes so nasty. The leafy bits taste like burnt yard clippings when it's cooked (because all the fun stuff leaches out into the fats and greases in whatever you've made).

Chef Ra has a secret for cooking with pot, and if you want to be a real Ganja Gormet, you just gotta make Ganja Butter. Take butter (NOT margerine) and mely a little in a shallow pan (like a small sautee pan) until it just melts. Dot get it so hot that it starts to bubble, just warm enough to melt to a clear liquid. Then take a few fat buds, and crumble then up over the pan, and let all the parts fall into the butter. Let it sit there for a while, and slowly swish the ganja bits around in the butter until it's all mixed up. don't stir it too often, just enough to keep it all mixed up.
    Eventually, you should start to see a little bit of smoke or vapor start to rise from the mix, at this point, pull it on the stove, and strain into a heat-proof container through a fine wire strainer. The plant material that's left over will be essentially useless at this point, because all the fun stuff is in the butter! (THC and the other cannabinoids are fat-soluable!) Keep your Ganja butter refrigerated till use. You can use it in sauces, soups, on bread (makes AWESOME garlic bread...), any way you'd normally use butter in a recipe, and you don't have to worry about the foul texture and taste of all those nasty leafy bits.

Ganja butter has a really interesting nutty, herbal taste to it, and has that distinctive fresh spliff aroma, and depending on how fresh your stash was, it might have a little bit of a greenish tinge to it's color.

If you're gonna do something worth doing, you should do it right.

6. snorton938

ok. we'll call it indian ravioli. :D