recipes of the day 04/24/04.....let's see what some of this stuff looks like.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 24, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

and here are the fried meat pies.....

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

yum yum yum

that pastalya dish looks really good.

So, how did both dishes taste. I've never had a meat pie before.

Interesting that you posted recipes and then posted pics of them while you were cooking them and when you were finished. Weird but Interesting.

A recipe by itself is kinda boring. You give new life to your recipe thread when you add the pics. kudos.

Good Job............................

Iron Chef Snorton

btw the way did you prepare all three dishes in under 60 minutes? :D

3. snorton938

they were all good. i've made fried catfish alot before and made the creole dish about a hundred times. the pastalaya was my first attempt and it is a keeper (thank you mesquite tiger for introducing me to it).....the fried meat pies were good but i got another batch i'm going to fry up tomorrow and will start on a lower heat to get a better consistency throughout (these fried up way too fast and the outsides got alot donner than the insides). yes, all dishes were prepared in around an hour to hour and fifteen minutes....had two roux's working (one with butter for the creole (prefer it to just the cornstarch) and the other with oil for the pastalaya) and had both hands working (one with a spoon the other with a whisk....drinking on wine the whole time....had to put down the spoon few times). the wife did all the frying (great fry cook). all in all a good meal.

4. snorton938

ok....here's dessert and we are done....first the keylime pie with coconut, gingersnap and graham cracker crust....

5. snorton938

and last but not least my king cake from randazzo's (thank you tricia in slidell)....

6. Mr. Peabody

Yeah, I wondered about the meat pies. They did look as if they were a bit overdone. They looked too brown on the outside.

What does a meat pie taste like? Is it similar tasting to something I might recognize?

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Kind of like a meat pot pie only better

8. Mr. Peabody

hahaha

I've never had a meat pot pie either. I've had a chicken pot pie before. They have the chicken, the yellow liquid stuff along with some carrots and peas. Is a chicken pot pie similar to a meat pot pie? :shock:

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I didn't mean the ones you get at the supermarket and nuke in the microwave. I was talking about homeade meat pot pies.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

man do i ever love "pies" that are non-dessert. meat pies are awesome. i had some in natchitoches at that christmas thing they do up there and they ruled.

also my favorite food in the whole world is crawfish pies, and i really like the ones they have at the jambalaya shoppe on government. i like fried pies, not so much the "pot" pies, which i guess are baked(?).