Reasons why we don't have a playoff

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by P&G_wheelz007, Nov 26, 2007.

1. TigerManiac10

TigerManiac10 Freshman

Everyone should play the same amount of games. The 6 major conferences should all play a championship game. (SEC, PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Big East).

The 6 winners go to a 6 team playoff with #1 and #2 getting a bye. (seeds will be determined by ranking/record then by strength of schedule)

The playoffs would take place in the 5 BCS Bowls already in place. Say Orange and Fiesta in the first round, and Sugar and Rose in the second, then the Championship Game.

This would still keep the big money bowls in tact, as well as making every game in the regular season count, while at the same time ensuring that the only teams capable of winning the National Championship would have to be conference champions as well.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Joe Fan can't afford to go to Florida, Louisiana, & California over the course of one month to follow his team. What say you to him?

3. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

I say the best we can hope for is conference championship games across the board, the current BCS bowls and a "plus one" game to determine the champ.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I have no problem with that at all. The Rose Bowl just seems like a natural fit for the CG though...

As someone who has never attended a Bowl Game of any kind, I say that he watch it from home like I have been doing for the better part of three decades and/or pick one and go to that one. I have attended games before and I personally prefer watching them from my home anyway. Live games are fun, but crowds are a pain in the arse. I can tailgate from my backyard, invite over friends and keep my money.

You can't please everyone. The goal is to have a playoff and a consensus Nat'l Champ, so that's what I had in mind...

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

There are Tens of Thousands of people who disagree with you on this one. And that's just in LSU's fan base. Multiply that by the number of teams in the playofss, and you have a problem. Part of what makes College football so great, is the fans and atmosphere. If the fans can't go, the atmosphere ain't there.

6. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

I would love the current system if..

• 2/3 Computer poll
    • 1/3 Coaches poll
    • Rework the computer formula to heavily weight strength of schedule.

7. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

If there's a playoff, they need to eliminate CCG's...No team should play more than 14 games....11 regular season games is just perfect...And the 3 playoff games if there's an 8 team tournament.

8. bigfly75

bigfly75 Freshman

The university presidents will never vote for a playoff, so the argument is moot. There seems to be some support for the plus-one format, but that's not a guaranteed solution. It may only be adding another layer to the problem.

Reluctantly, I agree with those who say the "playoff" is the entire season. The problem is when ignorant Harris and coach voters ignore the season results (LSU over Va Tech, Okla over Missouri, USC over ASU) and vote by some sort of mystical criteria.

It can work without a playoff, I think, by mandating a conference championship game (or a facsimile) for all conferences, including the Big Ten and Pac-10. Notre Dame could be added to the mix in deciding the Big Ten CCG participants. The non-BCS leagues should also have to play an extra game, something like maybe the WAC champ playing the Mountain West.
    In addition, on the weekend that the CCGs are played, teams like Georgia (ranked in the BCS top 10 or 12) that didn't qualify for their league CCG should be matched against similar teams from another league. Wouldn't it be great to see Georgia have to play, say, Kansas this week?
    In that way, no team gets to sit on its butt and back into the BCS title game. All the top BCS teams would have to play that final weekend, and let the BCS final vote fall where it may.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Well, they don't really disagree with me because I certainly see their point of view and agree with it. I have my personal preferences, but I understand that I am in the minority. However, that's just the reality of what a playoff would bring. Besides, it seems to work well for I-AA teams, so I don't see why it wouldn't work out fine for I-A.

Any time you make changes, there are going to be positives and negatives and choices to be made. Fans who clamor for a playoff system (which is the great majority) will be faced with the choice of missing a game or paying through the nose for a playoff run. Eliminating the Conf CG's would really need to be the way to go (opposed to forcing all conferences to play a Conf CG) and conferences with 12 teams would really need to kick a couple teams out to keep the season from being so stretched out. This would give all conferences a round robin format. This would never happen because unlike the NFL where all divisions feed into the NFL, college conferences are all about themselves.

I don't have every answer, but this is never a concern when this topics has been discussed. It's pretty a very new point of view that I never considered or heard anyone else consider. Unfortunately there is no perfect scenario.

If we cant' go to a playoff format, I'd propose that we go back to the old BCS formula that considers strength of schedule. Otherwise, Skip should fill the LSU schedule with The Citadel and ULM every single year.

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

We had that in '03. Some people complained because their weak schedule kept them out of the title game. Perhaps you heard a little about it back then, it was kinda big news around here.:hihi:

In 1-AA, the higher seed plays at home the first couple rounds. Meaning you only have one fan base traveling to each game. Using the current Bowls, both schools have to travel (sometimes a long ways) to go in each round.