Reading a good book?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal Buddy, May 3, 2007.

1. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

There are a ton of books on my nightstand, under the bedroom tv stand, by the lazy boy (and these are just the ones in the bedroom)...let's see, here's three random titles:

The Odessa File, Frederick Forsyth

The Great Influenza, John M. Barry

Northeastern Garden Book, Sunset Publications

My tastes vary. I enjoy thrillers and mysteries (funny about the comments about female mystery writers...some male thriller authors just make me cringe when they start with the self insertions and, ah, overly fantastic , *cough*middle-aged middle management type at the FBI/CIA/NSA saves world despite idiot/possibly evil bosses while hooking up with 24-year-old nuclear engineer who moonlights as a super model on the side*cough* :wink: ). Fantasy doesn't do much for me, with some exceptions, and I find that I read all the good novels in high school or in college. More and more, I find myself buying non-fiction, biographies and history.

Also, I am not ashamed to admit that I have already reserved my copy of the seventh Harry Potter book, and may even be at a midnight event to pick it up if my kids and Mr. GGH cooperate.

2. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Yes and no. I found it a good view of life below the poverty line in the early 1900s, but a bit melodramatic and preachy towards the end (don't want to spoil it if you want to read it).

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

I assume this is about the 1918 Influenza pandemic. Sounds interesting, are you enjoying it?

4. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

It's excellent. I'm actually rereading it, so you can take it that I enjoyed it. It's as much a history of modern medicine's beginnings -- with a focus on Johns Hopkins -- as it is of the actual flu pandemic. It's very interesting. And not dry at all (as I find some books of this type to be).

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

a similar book is on my upcoming list, "the ghost map". my friends have given it rave reviews and i am looking forward to it. it is about a cholera outbreak in london. i dunno why these kinda book are good but they are.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Riders of the Purple Sage is long out of copyright and there are several editions in print from different companies, mostly copies of the older highly edited edition. The new edition with the original censored text restored is available in paperback. Just be sure to read the cover and check the preface to be sure it is the revised edition.

If you dont find one, PM me your snail address and I'll send you my copy. I don't keep already-read paperbacks anyway, I pass them along. My hardbounds alone are running me out of my house.