Reading a good book?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal Buddy, May 3, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

"Hemlock Bay" by Catherine Coulter. Borrowed it from work. TERRIBLE, but I'm going to finish it.

I don't think women write very good mysteries or thrillers, with the exception of Alex Kava. And even one of her's was a complete dud.

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Ever hear of Agatha Christie?

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

A Man Without a Country --kurt vonnegut

pretty funny and likely his last. :lol: :lol:

4. NoLimitMD

Don't like 'em.

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

I am glad you said this...I was soooo excited to see a book thread and then I realized that it was a another "smart persons" thread!

I like to read for the same reason I like to go to a movies... (I just spend less and get more hours of enjoyment)... I escape from my life and get to live somebody elses exciting crime fighting life! That is good stuff!!!!!

6. Bengal Buddy

That's fine. I've never really been a big fan of hers either. But there is a difference between saying you don't like her style and saying she can't write. Despite my feelings, she was one of the greatest mystery writers in the world and will her books will likely remain extremely popular for many decades to come.

7. NoLimitMD

Yea, I can't put my finger on what it is about female writers. There's something dialogue-wise that I just can't stand. I have hard time with the whole "willful suspension of disbelief" in just about every book I have read in that genre by a female author. I like to at least be able to burn through 40 pages or so and not realize I'm reading.

Hell, I read and write serious stuff all day, so it's great to just a plain old thriller.

8. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

9. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I read John Grisham's first non-fiction book, The Innocent Man. It's about Ron Williamson, the small town Oklahoma kid who was to be "the next Mickey Mantle" and how his life spiralled down after he flopped with the A's.
    The book was still in hardback when I bought it... it may be in paperback by now.
    Sad friggen story about one man's actual life. There, but for the Grace of God...

10. Bengal Buddy

I know what you mean. I am not a big fan of mysteries except for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I have a two-volumn set of Sherlock Holmes stories. I love Holmes.