Politics Rand Paul Nomination

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Nov 3, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ahh, OK. But I think it may be a simpler than that for the 1% of wealthy Americans that had to pay inheritance taxes. They think great wealth entitles them to special considerations that "common people" don't rate.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

No you didn't misunderstand me. I fricked up the number. It had been a long time since I looked at the stats. In actuality about 60% of wealth is unrealized capital gains.

Because that is where the break is. I said earlier the effective rate is under 15%. It is now, with the rise in applicable estates to $10.8 million it is more like 12%. Remember an $11 million dollar estate only has a $100,000 tax due, and that is if no measures have been taken to avoid the tax.

If the basis is increased there is no capital gains tax due. If I inherit $1 billion dollars in stock, the cost basis is $1 billion for me. If I sell it tomorrow for $990,000,000 I get to take a $10 million loss on my tax return. and again the number has changed greatly less than 2 in 1000 estates are now subject to the tax.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That number sounds more plausible.

Where does 10.8 come from? I thought it was 5.4?

But some people who are taxed may not have any deferred capital gains and some may have well over the 60%. Why not just tax the money that has a step up in basis. Why hit everyone even if it comes out to the same number?

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I'm not saying that you can't get around to the connection you've made but I know a lot of raging conservatives and have never heard them complain about the estate tax as reparations. I've never read an article or heard of that on the news either. I just don't think it's that common of a belief.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

as i said a black guy was pushing this on fox news the other day. i have heard it many times before,also about ACA as well being a form of reparations. Crazy stuff no doubt, but there is plenty of belief of this and it goes with the territory of the first black president.