Politics Rand Paul Nomination

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Exxon, Microsoft, General Motors, Google, Ford, Berkshire Hathaway, Facebook, Yahoo, General Electric, Boeing used slave labor? Thats news to me. They would have had to have used time machines to go back to the 1800's.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They deserve a right to inherit and they get it. There is no right to not be taxed on a huge windfall profit.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

huh
    are these people?

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't see how extate tax money could be considered reparations unless that revenue is specifically allocated for that purpose. And if there were any reparations who would they be paid to? There are no living people who were slaves. There might be a very few childen of slaves still alive who would be very old. Reparations for slavery should have been paid but they should have been paid 150 years ago to the people who were the victims.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

read my last post. its not a literal sense of the idea.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There are run by people who are very wealthy because of having started or owned the majority interest. The Rockerfellers, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Seigei Brin, Mark Zuckerberg, The decendents of Henry Ford, ect.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I do not think this is a logical conclusion, amigo. Two of my four great grandfathers were sharecroppers themselves. They would take great exception to the notion that all white prosperity in the south is tied to slave labor. Of my six great and great-great grandfathers who fought for the Confederacy, only one was a slaveholder (3 slaves in the 1860 census). Less than 1.5% of white American families in 1860 were slave owners. In the south only 33% were slave owners in 1860.

Henry Louis Gates Jr. wrote: "...the percentage of free black slave owners as the total number of free black heads of families was quite high in several states, namely 43 percent in South Carolina, 40 percent in Louisiana, 26 percent in Mississippi, 25 percent in Alabama and 20 percent in Georgia." Free blacks were perceived "as a continual symbolic threat to slaveholders, challenging the idea that 'black' and 'slave' were synonymous."

I would suggest that the idea that "white" is synonymous with "slaveholder" is equally a poor perception.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

and Im not saying it is, im saying the perception of a lot of conservatives about being reparations

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How do government "hand outs" to the poor compare to government "hand outs" to corporations through corporate welfare, subsidies etc?

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Some people have a perception of "The Old South" that everyone lived like Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara. Nothing could be farther from the truth.