Ramen Noodles Can Kill You

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

But at Subway they are Sandwich Artists;)

MLUTiger likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Me too. Subway has better choices than most fast foods. You can get wheat bread, have then hold the mayo, and put on a lot of veggies.

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I'm not real big on how they store their meats/toppings on the counter at room temperature. The Sub Ways around here seem to find it impossible to keep the bins clean, and the cold stuff actually cold. Can't tell you how many times I have been given nasty wilted lettuce, sweating or greasy cheese, mushy tomatoes, etc.

I just don't trust fast food workers anymore, I'll either eat at a nice restaurant or eat at home.

We quit eating out, we buy our groceries for two weeks and cook, if we want something we ran out of or don't have... tough, we either go by it or find something else to eat.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The thing I like about Subway or a counter diner . . . you can watch your food being prepared. If you think they are unsanitary, you can walk out. You never know what goes on back in the kitchens of fast food restaurants.

I never eat at a place where the person handling the cash is also handling the food. One thing I like about Taco Bell is the sink right behind the cash register. You can see if they wash their hands between the register and the food prep area.

GregLSU likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I once worked in a pizza place on Nicholson Drive. One time I dropped a can of anchovies in the dirty dishwater and my boss made me fish them out and put them where the anchovies were kept for use. Hardly anybody ever orders anchovies. Another time, there was a woman who would come in and bitch about everything every time she came in. She was a real pain in the ass. I wasn't there that day but I heard later that the guy who made her pizza that day masturbated on it before he served it to her.

6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

That's pretty spot on and about how I am too. I don't eat out much, couple times a month at most, but when I do it's either a steak house or sushi place. With sushi, I can sit right there and watch everything he does.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Taco Bell meat "filling"...

"Beef (only 36%), water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate"

Jack in the crack....
    "Beef Regular Taco or Beef Monster Taco Filling Ingredients: Beef, Water, Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Flour, Caramel Color), Soy Grits, Seasoning [Chili Powder (Chili Peppers, Spices, Salt, Garlic Powder), Wheat Flour, Taco Mix (Chili Pepper, Garlic, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Onion), Imitation Beef Extract (Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy, Wheat and Corn Protein, Monosodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate), Silicon Dioxide (added to prevent caking)], Salt, Tomato Paste, Worcestershire Sauce (Distilled Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices, Tamarind, Natural Flavor, Sulfiting Agent). Tortilla Ingredients: Ground Corn, Water, Lime. Soy, Wheat"

El Pollo Loco....
    [​IMG]

2 tacos, chips, and a drink for $5.

Subway is okay. Togo's is better IMO. Far more meat to bread ratio than Subway.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

This is the answer. Without the packet, sodium content is 500 mg. With the packet, it soars to 1,560.

A can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup-890 mg
    A can of Campbell's cream of mushroom-870 mg
    A can of Campbell's tomato soup- 480 mg

Of course most soup companies now offer low sodium choices which are better but you still have to look. The low sodium cream of mushroom comes down to 650 mg and the chicken noodle comes down to 660 but that is still way too high. Add in the "Ready to Serve" option and the sodium content comes down considerably.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I thought about this dam thread last Sunday. I was washing/vacuuming my daughter's car and found a pack under the seat. Several of the girls in her class have camps. They've been having parties at the camps and I guess the cooking is limited.