Raising Kids

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Jan 8, 2017.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

But see, you're talking about gender differences. I'm talking generational differences. The grooms I've seen at these weddings seem just as caught up in the wedding-as-performance thing as the brides.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well I guess not. I wouldn't go even IF he WAS. That's inconsiderate to ask imo. If anyone wants to leave country to get married, that's fine, take your bride and go...ALONE.

Nah, I'm talking about too much attn being put on the fun parts leading up to the ceremony and not enough attn on the commitment part thereafter.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    mctiger likes this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Well done sir.

KyleK and LSUTiga like this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

When I got married I tried to make it all about my future wife and the little girl I had raised since she was an infant. My daughter is actually my step daughter but she has never known another dad. Her biological father comes into the picture once every 6 years or so and sues us and then leaves. So when I got married I had already raised this little girl throughout her infancy and she was a 4 year old at the time. I gave my wife a diamond band that fit around her engagement ring, and I also gave my daughter a small diamond ring at the ceremony as well. I'll never forget the look on her little face that entire day, and if I am lucky enough to live long enough to see her get married, I will still see that little girl I gave the ring too when she was 4.

StaceyO, shane0911, mctiger and 3 others like this.
  5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

To hell with all the bio dad talk, YOU'RE her dad. After she turns 18, you should adopt her. I only say after 18 cause he couldn't stop her then.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I disagree, I don't like weddings. They are created by the devil himself but if someone wants to save me the agony of sitting through one of those damn things and replace it with a beach in Mexico at an all inclusive resort, well then, where do I sign? Vegas, I'm in. None of that is very expensive and you have a hell of a good time, a lot better than sneaking a bottle of booze into a church.

tirk and Bengal B like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Like tiga would pass up a free trip to see what the world outside of Bunkie was like.

Lots of people talking, few of them know
    Soul of a woman was created below, yeah

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Tiga, congratulations on your daughter's marriage. For me, it seems like it will be a long time before I'm the mother of the bride, but then again, it seems like yesterday that my girls were babies. Now, they are in 10th and 6th grades, and my older daughter is (slowly) learning to drive (I've found it's harder to learn to drive in the city because there is always so much traffic here) and looking into colleges (this week, she's thinking about Arkansas.)

The thought of letting them go is definitely a daunting one, but it's why we raise them in the first place. They aren't meant to be ours forever, dependent on us forever.

I've never really considered the role of the mother of the groom. My mother-in-law hated me and tried everything in her power to run me off before I married her son. Over time, I've realized that it wasn't necessarily me that she hated, just the idea of him marrying anyone at all. That was a perspective that was hard for me to see when I was in my 20's. Our 40's provide a bit more clarity on such things. We still don't have a relationship with one another; we saw her for the first time in 4 and a half years around Christmas--she's completely missed seeing her granddaughters grow up because she couldn't accept that her son would get married.

I have always liked to think that I wouldn't be that way if I'd had a son. I know I don't feel that way about my daughters finding husbands one day. I hope that I will be happy to welcome a son into my family then (heck, I have several of my former students picked out for my older daughter; she'll finally be in school with them when her high school and the feeder high school from my middle school merge at Plano Senior High next year.)

LSUTiga likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Better not let your daughter know it or she'll drop him like a hot potato. "Well, he is kind of cute He's funny and he is going to Stanford but my mom likes him." "YOUR MOM LIKES HIM!!! EWWW!"

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

With most teenagers, I would say that you are spot-on, but she really isn't like that. The bad boys and other types of losers don't really appeal to her. Thankfully.