R.I.P. Pontiac

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by PodKATT, Apr 27, 2009.

1. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

Part of today's announcement, apart from the closing of all pontiac plants, and the ending of %40 of their dealerships, GM also said the only brands they are keeping are Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC.

Saab is halfway sold back to sweden already.
    Saturn has no new products planned but may become independent.
    Hummer will just cease to be, if the India doesn't buy it first.
    Opel (a GM europe brand) looks to be sold to Fiat, who may also be getting a significant share of Chrysler.

Lots of changes in the auto industry ahead.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I heard on the radio that Saturn is desirable to Tata from India or to the Chinese, who both want to enter the US market with small cars. This would give them a recognized name brand with a good reputation, a set of dealerships up and running and already staffed. Contract to buy the cars from GM until you get ready to ship your product line over here. Sounds reasonable.

3. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

yeah, GM makes more profit off buick than pontiac, even though it sells more pontiacs. But, a reason for that maybe that buick only has 3 cars under it badge, as opposed to pontiac which has about 8

believe it or not, buick is all the rage in china with the younger crowd.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12801549/

4. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

My best friend, back in my Marine Corps days, and I did the swoop from Camp Lejeune to his house in Wilkes Barre, PA (680 miles) every weekend in a '91 Pontiac Firebird. It was yellow with T-tops and flew like the wind. I'd tell you our best time but you would just call me a liar. We had a nice CB radio to keep an eye on the smokey bears and only stopped for gas...plastic coke bottles were used for other emergencies....:thumb:

5. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

mf bad-ass mf 1967 GTO (see XXX movie) I never owned one, but always wanted one, or 1970 Chevelle SS454 with cowl induction.

[​IMG]

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

My first 2 cars were Pontiacs. Sorry to see them go.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

A friend of mine is a Chevy dealer....he told me his sources at GM indicate Buick may be on the block. That however, was before the Pontiac announcement, so he may have been confusing the two.

8. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

I must argue. My wife has a Vue. We love that thing. It's reliable and rides very smooth. The engines in them are actually produced in colaboration with Honda. The only thing I would say that sets it back is that the road noise has increase over the years because of the plastic body panels. It's 5 yrs old with 70,000 miles. We plan on running it till it dies. Must say we are upset that we won't get the chance to purchase another after that one goes.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

'56 Pontiac. This was when a Pontiac looked like a Pontiac, you didn't mistake it for a similar Chevy or a Buick. This car could take a '57 Chevy easy . . . after you took off about 500 pounds of chrome bumper.

[​IMG]

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Now thats a hooptie. Back in the day when two cars collided all you saw was steam and some cosmetic damage. That thing is a tank on wheels. Did it even have seat belts? I think lap belts were in by then, no?