Question for the health-conscious

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by mctiger, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

My wife, who is diabetic, has been doing a very good job with weight loss over the last few months with just portion control, and by watching the carbs. But breakfasts are becoming a problem. We need breakfast ideas that are high protein, low carb/low sugar, and won't leave her feeling hungry 45 minutes after breakfast. Thanks in advance.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I don't have time to go into depth because headed to my nephew's football game but read the Wheat Belly Book which is a really good way to curb appetitie. They also have a good cook book but the wheat belly blog has a good run down and people are posting their own recipes for all meals. I rarely feel hungry anymore and has turned me into an eat to have energy and healthy mindset which has never been the case for me. I was insulin resistant and reversed myself out of the diabetic danger zone. Some are reversing themselves out of early stages of diabetes too.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Breakfast:

Quaker Oats High Fiber Instant oatmeal. 10 grams of fiber, 4 grams protein, 7 grams sugar.

I love the Maple and Brown Sugar. I add chopped walnuts to it (which are arguably the best nuts in the world to eat).

It just takes 90 seconds in the microwave.

Geezer Squid likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A couple of strips of bacon and a half grapefruit is a favorite low-carb breakfast of mine. You get some fiber from the grapefruit and the fat/protein of the bacon help keep you from getting hungry. The grapefruit adds sweetness and bulk without processed sugars. A slice of whole-wheat toast adds more fiber without too many carbs if you don't smother it with butter and jelly.

Most days I have a whole grain cereal and non-fat milk. I alternate between Cheerios, shredded wheat, and Corn Cheks. The trick is to not fill the bowl but measure out a cup, which is less than what we imagine. The carbs are healthier complex carbs as long as you never put sugar in them. I never feel hungry after eating these breakfasts.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Yeah but grapefruit is terrible.

shane0911 and KyleK like this.
  6. mctiger

A good one she's already aware of Izzy, and a little tired of. I think that stays in the rotation if we can find her a few options. Good idea about the walnuts, though; she doesn't do that.

7. mctiger

lol, she eats grapefruit as a snack.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Eggs and Bacon are the ultimate healthy breakfast.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I mean it tastes terrible