Question for Texans

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, May 29, 2022.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Why does a person in Texas have to prove himself/herself with photo ID to be 21+ years old in order to legally buy alcoholic beverages?

Is it merely because Texas doesn't want its young people to act like drunken clowns, without regard to how many people he/she might hurt? Maybe he/she might slur a word or two in the normally erudite state of Texas, the home of such notable, articulate examples as that mayor of Uvalde? *cough*

Or maybe it's a religious thing? It's a sin for anyone under age 21 to drink?

Or is it because his/her fellow Texans feel that he/she might misuse the product and then become a danger to himself/herself and others?

2. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Same question for Louisianians.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Those are fair questions and I’ll add one more. Why should 18 year olds be allowed to vote if they’re not mature enough to buy alcohol or guns? Shouldn’t the standard for one of the most consequential actions we take be similarly high?

4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

It is 21 because in the mid 80's the federal govt strong armed the state into raising the drinking age by withholding federal highway money. That is the simple reason why.

Anyone of any age can misuse the product and become a danger to themself or others.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I have a better question, why didn't your mom swallow you?

LSUpride123 likes this.
  6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i dont think there should be any drinking laws

rex wants you to answer the question and say that 18 year olds are irresposnible and then he says "why can they buy guns then, GOTCHA LOLZOIDS"

BAY0U BENGAL and LSUpride123 like this.
  7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

There are many peer reviewed studies that show the brain isn’t fully mature until around 25. It was a mistake to reduce the voting age to 18. The age of majority should be raised and there should be some standard to obtain the privilege of voting. I wish I could take credit for this but I am quoting….The Constitution was written by a group of philosophically-inclined revolutionaries who respected individual rights; distrusted mobs and their weird, ever-changing, ignorant, intolerant demands; and wanted to protect future generations from violence inflicted by such mobs...gaining control of the machinery of government. So they built in all kinds of counterweights, self-activating brakes, and other impediments that power-seeking politicians have gradually eroded in order to win the support of those same mobs. Individuals who......have moral principles & respect for individual rights still exist, but the system has been undermined so badly since the 18th century that they are at a powerful disadvantage against the sociopathic demagogues who now infest US goverment at every level from school board to DC.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

If they're sent to war and risk their lives defending their country then they should be able to legally drink a beer and have a say with their vote how things should be done.

That said, have you seen the things these kids do in today's military with advanced weapons and equipment?

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Why should America hating ignorant pedophile loving clowns be allowed to vote?

10. Rex

Rex Founding Member

They shouldn't be sent to war, and the USA should not accept volunteers for the military until at least age 21.