question/answer thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by martin, Aug 20, 2012.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

I will concede that you right if you tell me I am no position to answer, but I figure just the social growth from playing with his pals would be plenty at this point. Even my obsessive friends with young kids don't worry about school for their kids that young.

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I wont say that, I actually value your opinion agree or disagree. But I m not obsessed with it, just people telling me different things has me confused. This my first child, so things like this i need opinions on.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Don't rush school. They call the first one play school for a reason. It's more of a socialization thing than structured school. I would think pre-k at age 4. Prior to that, a couple days per week at day care is fine. If your wife needs to work, do full time day care. The kids like it.

LSU_Sooner likes this.
  4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

My youngest has been going to a "Mother's Day Out" (at least what they call it over here) type school, three days a week from 9-2. He's been going since he was 1 and just turned 5 (his bday was just after the cutoff for K).

He has about 10 kids in his class, it's somewhat structured but not quite "real school". He can count to 100 and learns things at school that often surprise me. He loves going and seeing his friends, which I think is the most important thing.

When my oldest was that age, my wife worked full-time so he went to a Catholic pre-school five days a week from 7am-6pm (including the after school watch). He loved it also and I think was overall very good for him although that was probably too much time spent with the long hours and every single day schedule.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

My daughter was speaking in sentences at 15 months, and understands things way before she should. If she sees somethign done once she can do. She put a 300 piece puzzlee together by herself last week. She started a two day a week mother's day out at 21 months. Most of the other kids were already 2, but wouldnt be 3 til June or July. For the first six months she was really bored with it. None of the other kids could communicate on her level., and the songs and nursery rymes they use to develop the kids were kind of beneath her. As time went by the other kids caught up, and they started learning letters and numbers, and she enjyed that more.

She is now in a three day a week program for kids who turn 3 between October 1 and May 31. While she is more advanced than the other kids, she enjoys it more. She can converse and play with the other kids.

My point is this. You might want to wait til you find a program that will challenge your son, and will pair him with kids close to his ability level. If he is around kids that aren't able to talk and play at his level he might not have fun.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We were once children.

My mom was a teacher when I was born. I was a bright kid and entered preschool(it was called nursery school in the 50' s) when I was four. My mom was already teaching me many things but decided that age 4 was the point where I needed the camaraderie and competition of schoolmates. It really enhanced my interest in learning. I don't remember much from age 3, but I am quite sure that playtime overwhelmed any time I spent learning anything but a decent vocabulary.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

:eek: Sounds like there is a need for more than one vasectomy.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

Thanks, yea he is like that as well to an extent. He takes my wife's ipad and knows the passcode, can bring up any of his apps and play the games and puzzles easily.
    Its a tough choice cause I dont want to hold him back but I think 2 years old is early.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

She works, but we have a sitter/nanny that he is with during the day and she only has him. My wife and the sitter both do a lot of work with him, flash cards, ipad, etc. So like I said I am amazed at the things he can do. He is already going #1 on his pottie and trying to do #2

LSU_Sooner likes this.
  10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Now you can officially wear your parent badge with pride! Anybody who brags on his kid's #1 and #2's is full on parent!

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.