question/answer thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by martin, Aug 20, 2012.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

It really seems difficult to tell if a daily multi does anything.

I know from lots of reading about the placebo effect that believing it helps mean it affirmatively and certainly does. And that not just for idiots, the placebo effect is real and healing.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

Fil stones are for kids but does that matter? Kids are humans and would benefit from the same magnesium and folic acid and whatever the f is in the vitamin right?

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Not sure. What I know is that it says to take 1 gummy if you're under 2 years old and 2 gummies over 2 years old. I take two obviously. It has to be good for me, Just not sure what percentage of my daily value it is as compared to a child over 2 years old. Or maybe we're all the same over 2 years old.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

Wen you say it has to be good for you, this is based on what?

I am not sure yet but I think after more research my conclusion will be that the best case scenario for most people is that vitamins are, as mentioned above, a good way to make expensive pee, and possibly an actual health negative.

5. mobius481

I guess what I meant is that if we assume vitamins are good, then taking some, even if not enough, must be good to some extent. I certainly don't think vitamins make me feel better or have healing powers, but I don't have the most balanced diet. I'm probably short on dairy and veggies so I would imagine the calcium and frolic acid is good for me.

6. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

It's a weaning process....

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

All of that is probably based on false assumptions. No real reason to believe that you are not overdosing folic acid or calcium by taking vitamins.

Calcium shortages in bones are not created by a lack of dietary calcium. Old people with brittle bones don't have not enough calcium in their diets. They are old and their bodies don't work right. They could eat blocks of calcium and it wouldn't matter.

I am not sure yet, nobody is but if I had to guess I would say odds are the vitamins a worse for you than not eating them.

8. mobius481

Whatever. I really only eat them when I remember and because they taste good.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Vitamins, like almost everything, can be very good in moderation. But those who take 20 different vitamins and herbal remedies a day are likely wasting their money and possibly endangering their health.

Is Fish Oil a vitamin? I take 2 fish oil capsules a day on recommendation of the doctor. They are actually more effective at reducing my slightly high triglycerides than statin drugs.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Ya know what worked wonders on my formerly high triglycerides? Cutting carbs and eating lots of bacon and eggs. In the past year I have reduced my hours in the pool from 14 to 6, and eaten 8 strips of bacon and 3 fried eggs just about every morning. I have cut out grits and pancakes completely and rarely eat pasta or white rice and bread. I have also cut down to 8 oz of cola a day. My good cholesterol is way up, my bad is way down, and my triglycerides which were once in the 400 range are now well below 200. I have also lost weight in this time. Even my beer fueled guy is flatter these days.