Props to the Tiger Band for the halftime show

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Carface, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

I was marching in that show. That, I think, was the same show as when the F-16s flew over and the crowd went ape-sh!t.

So Moorhouse finally dusted off the famous tank-drill. I remember someone showing us the drill sheets for that show. Never did it though. That must've taken a crap load of practice.

Best damned marching band on earth.

2. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

you can see the tank formation in this old band promo video (I wish they would have done the smoke too). After seeing the crowd reaction, I think the band should try more stuff like that, it was very entertaining.

band video http://www.lsu.edu/highlights/023/band.htm

3. StadiumSalute

StadiumSalute It's Gameday!

My wife (who was also in the band) and I thought we were going to see the smoke also.

4. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

You can find the original tank and marching men drill if you call the alumni association and ask them for a dvd of the old band shows from the 70's. That was a bill swore original. The F16's were in 2000 with some other singer but singing God Bless the USA. Lee came in 2001 and we did the Armed forces medely, and then did Between a rock and a heartache and God bless the USA. They did a better job last night with Greenwood than we did in 2001.

1 person likes this.
  5. rkron

rkron Freshman

I find these opinions amusing.

I was in the LSU Band way back in 71-75. We were the "All American College TV Band". The tank formation was used in 1971 at the LSU-Alabama game on national TV, music was the "Theme from Patton". Typical halftime shows in those days included a precision drill and usually 3 formations (pagentry style). Some formations were animated, some were not. The audience enjoyed the formations, especially the segues from one formation to another....many interesting drill patterns emerged. Unfortunately, some people began to complain that the Tiger Band wasn't "with it" or changing with the newer trends in marching band that were evolving. What the general audience missed was the fact that "The Golden Band from Tigerland" was an exemplary example of what a band should be--lots of personal attention to detail, posture, carriage, concept of sound, learning the show the first time through--making one self reach high levels of performance. The Golden Band was so special that NBC (there were only 3 networks back then) would pre-empt the commericals during halftime and would televise our entire show. They would even send the camera crews out to our rehearsals so they could figure out the best camera shots.

To make my point--it's funny how after the general style changed, hearing people comments on how much they enjoyed the formations makes me chuckle. It's nice to know that the older style is still appreciated.

Kuddos to the Tiger Band for last night's performance and the performances this year. From what I have seen, the Tiger Band seems to be performing at a higher level this year. Thanks for all the hard work in keeping LSU Band tradition alive!

1 person likes this.
  6. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

The difference I think was that in 2001 because of what had happened you could hear the CROWD singing louder then Greenwood.

7. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

It has got to be a sign of the times because I remember in the late 80s that they would show the band during halftime more then they do now.

Hell the only reason we use to watch the Bayou Classic was to watch the bands and today you barely get to watch half of their set.

8. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Glad to hear from someone who was in the band at the same time I was there. I remember the first show I ever learned. It was August,1969, just a few weeks after the first moon landing and Bill Swor had a great show designed around the Apollo Moon Program. We started with a three- stage rocket firing left to right across the field. It was animated and broke into the three stages, then finally a lunar lander "descended" to the sideline. Lots of "smoke" on the launch. The segue tune was "Beyond the Blue Horizon" and I'm pretty sure that "Aquarius" was another tune for that show. Good times.

I was also in the band the year we won the "All American College TV Band" award. In fact, the medal we were presented is shadowboxed over my desk. That show (the one that won us the award) was done in Birmingham, if I remember correctly, in that old erector-set stadium. Most of the music for that show was from a show about the American Revolution. I think it was called "Chester", or something like that. They videotaped our practices - the first time I'd ever heard of video tape! I wonder if that show is available from anyone on DVD? I'd sure pay to own a copy of the TV broadcast.

Oh well. Good memories. Good times. Great People! :eek:ldskule:

9. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

I had seen the film of the 71 version of the tank formation when I was in Tiger Band (85-89). We did the soldiers marching movement back in 86. I clearly remember the gasps of the audience when the soldiers took their steps.

I was very disappointed with the Tigervision version last night. They totally missed the tank moving. And some of the views of Lee Greenwood through the Golden Girls weren't well thought out.

Tiger Band still stands for attention to detail, posture, carriage, concept of sound and learning the show well. High levels of performance are the norm, and I am glad that hasn't changed even though the style might.

GEAUX TIGERS

10. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Here is the band and Greenwood in the p-mac.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhEqGRY70Pc[/MEDIA]