Proof the world is ending

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, Aug 15, 2018.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

What aircraft did he design? He kept some very famous company. You have my attention.

2. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

I can't help but wonder who he was and what planes he was associated with, if that's not too personal? I'll be in D.C. in October and plan on visiting the National Air & Space Museum. I heard the NAS museum in Chantilly, VA is worth the drive from DC, so we may visit their too.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

SBD Dauntless, A-20, A-26, A-1 Skyraider, A-3, A-4, Skyray, Skyknight, Skystreak, Skyrocket....some of many.

[​IMG]
    The little red number there....

[​IMG]
    Both.

[​IMG]
    Ike and Ed.

[​IMG]
    This exact A-26 currently lives at the Lyon Air Museum here in Orange County but some years ago it was owned and operated out of Van Nuys airport. I arranged with the owner for a private ride with my mom and sister. All I had to do was pay for the fuel. They flew us up to Santa Barbara, had lunch at the airport cafe, and then flew back. One of my top memories in life. Hearing those Pratt & Whitneys from inside the aircraft was unreal.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I stayed in Sterling, VA for a few weeks a few years ago. Chantilly is only a few miles away. If I had know the NAS museum was there I would have gone.

5. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Thanks for sharing. Your Grandfather was a great man. The NAS museum has been #1 on my list to tour.

GiantDuckFan, HalloweenRun and kcal like this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It's a strange way to look at things I guess but a big part of my thought process when I was young, was fearing the day he would die. I loved him that much.

He had a stroke which forced his retirement. At the time he was at General Dynamics in San Diego. I spent a good part of every summer at his home and those conversations were a treasure. One day he asked for my help in organizing a file cabinet. We were going through papers and he was directing me to either keep or toss. I pulled out a wrinkly, yellowed telegram.

To: Ed Heinemann

"Your SBD works. Thanks for saving our butts at Midway."

He said toss.

el005639, kcal, GiantDuckFan and 3 others like this.
  7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Hope you did not. I have a navy buddy who is big with the Nimitz Museum. I’m sure they would cherish the telegram.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Now, i don't know how accurate Clarence's description is, but this is what he said and Chuck Yeager's reply:
    Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 4.43.32 PM.png

9. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 4.50.51 PM.png

tirk and Winston1 like this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I would question his description as well as I believe the movie was just premiered and highly doubtful that he was in the audience to see it. That goes for Chuck Yeager as well.

I have had the opportunity to meet and dine with Yeager. It was at an event near LAX commemorating something to do with my grandfather. I know a lot of people look up to him but I will say that I did not enjoy his company whatsoever. He certainly enjoys getting his drink on and his behavior was unpleasant.

I still have to think that Armstrong's sons would know their dad better than Chuck Yeager did. I'm willing to change my mind on that if something comes out saying that Armstrong and his sons were somehow estranged.