Practice update?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Aug 10, 2019.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I really don't know why Grimes is still here. Not like he is a magnet for recruits. It is the one area we can never afford injuries and the one area we will most likely get an injury. 6 o-lineman out of 17 are either injured or are nursing a pre-season injury. Next man up

tzanghi likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Good point. I remember someone used to try and tell us how great this Grimes fella is but I can't say that I have ever been impressed with the OL. Always seemed sort of sub par

3. COLD SMOKE

COLD SMOKE Founding Member

Grimes has been gone for a couple of years now. Cregg is the O Line Coach.

4. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Jeff Grimes hasn't been at LSU for a while, Hoss. Grimes is the Offensive Coordinator for BYU. He improved their Offense from the crappy 4-9 team that Rosy beat, yay! to 7-6 in 1 year.

Your OL coach is James Cregg. He was Rosy Finch's "Big OL hire" after Grimes got a huge promotion. Assistance to the real OL coach of the Chargers. Been here 2 years now. How you like the Finch's hires?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Wow, I stand corrected. I never liked Grimes much as a line coach although, coulda been maybe that Miles cat that got in the way? Some reason, his name stuck in my head and I could never get it out. Whomever, the O-line has been a project for quite some time and has been a glaring point of emphasis that has shown too hard to fill.

As for O's hires, I liked to praise the hire of Greg McMahon. That dude took what Peveto spent seasons burning down and turned it back into a unit we can all appreciate in just 1 season. Cade York is gonna make some noise for LSU over the next few years. If we can get past that shitty red zone play we have perfected the last 2 seasons, Cade will just be ice.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If he fixes the return game this year I’ll agree. Not sold on E but excited for the young buck Sean Payton gifted us.

7. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Really? Troubling OL under Grimes & Miles? La'el Collins won the 2014 Jacobs Blocking Award under them. Also a couple All - SEC OL. Jacobs award is for the Best OL player in the league, BTW.

McMahon? Ha! Now that's funny! He was here last year running LSU (or not running..) special teams into the ground. Worse return game in LSU history.

Where"s has return Baw, Giles da Coach O kept bragging about when he transferred here? Heard he left..

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You gotta have a good return guy to have a good return game. Giles wasn't good. Derek Stingley Jr will be an electrifying upgrade. Rome wasn't built in a day. Takes time to fix the state that Elmer left us in.

9. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Rome didn't need to be built in. a day, it was already built. This is year 4 for the country Baw coach Miles had All-American & All-SEC players returning kicks. Ex. Chad Jones mimickicking the Billy Cannon return. Trindon Holiday, etc., etc.

Here's how O/ McMahon fucked up:

"Giles had led the Red Raiders in receiving with 69 catches, 1,158 yards and 13 touchdowns as a slot receiver in 2016, and LSU head coach Ed Orgeron saw promise in the receiver, awarding him the coveted No. 7 jersey for the Tigers, which is traditionally worn by the team's top playmakers.

But through the first five games of the 2018 season, Giles only had four catches for 20 yards, and he switched to the No. 12 before the Florida game.

By the end of the season, Giles was also replaced as the team's punt returner. He had 13 returns for 92 yards in 2018, and he muffed a punt in the fourth quarter against Texas A&M in the regular season finale."

Hello!! Before you retire Stingley's jersey, might want to see how many punts/ kickoffs he takes back against Bama , Florida etc.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Returns is only one aspect of special teams. Arguably the most important is place kicking, a play that literally puts points on the board every time its executed correctly. McMahon went and found one of the best to ever put on the purple and gold. Place kicking under Miles was frequently a cover-your-eyes-and-peak-between-your-fingers proposition. The kick off is very important in establishing field position. The kicker last year routinely caused touchbacks. I don't think stats are kept for kicking off out of bounds, but if it did, I'll bet we led the nation under Miles. To his credit, we usually had very good punters when Miles was here.

Bengal B and lsu-i-like like this.