Potential SEC Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LesMilesFan

LesMilesFan Founding Member

The championship games would basically become a regional round of a playoff. That is if every conference agreed to play by the same rules. Which is the longest shot of all.

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

three mississippi schools in the SEC? wouldn't fly.

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

I'm thinking it could be fairly easy getting locked up with tough conference foes through expansion. We get Florida the next two years, so I'll get back with you on that one.

The bigger argument for expansion is the idea that super conferences will bring a "playoff." When that glorious day presents itself, getting to the playoff will be more important then being unbeaten at the time. The beauty contest then is officially over. Not only can teams now overcome heated rival games, but injuries, youth, a poor coaching decision, etc, etc.

Wow, it could even work out that the best team at the end of the year could take it to the house. My only question is, are you sure 16 is enough?

4. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

This is a rumor thread, I don't appreciate all this common sense!

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

The money mentioned is just the money as distributed from the conference. That does not include the local agreements with SEC teams and as far as I know, the SEC is the only league that allows each school to negotiate local agreements (for the 2011 season and beyond). Each SEC teams receives on average $17.5 million from the league. UF received $10 million last season I read somewhere last week. That's $27.5 million estimated in television revenue last season.

This is the only reason that Tejas is even considering the SEC. On one had they have to face a minimum of five ranked teams every year in conference play and no guaranteed BCS Bowl anymore. On the other hand, they get around $17.5 million plus the revenue generated by their very own UT Channel that they're contemplating. Slive has already said that they will not stand in their way. The Big XII and PAC 10 reportedly are not giving them that option.

As for A&M, Stallings is making the push for the SEC I bet. He's regaling them with tales of Sugar Bowls on good years and Peach Bowls on bad years with a minimum of five or six bowl teams. I don't think that any conference has the lucrative tie-ins with the Bowls like the SEC. The excitement of joining the SEC would ignite the fanbase and no doubt inject revenue into the program itself.

1 person likes this.
  6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Of course it is.

All of this debate is all based on speculation, with the exception of what has already happened. We can all think what we want, but the only ones that will really matter in the end are the decision makers. Be it for money, be it for demographics, be it for market size, or be it for the integrity of the conferences, the decision makers are the ones who will make the ultimate moves. I as a spectator am excited for the upcoming season, and this conversation has made the offseason even more exciting. Hopefully when all of the dust settles we will all be able to sit back and watch a better product than exists today. Not that it is a bad product, because it isn't, but all the change that could take place has to have some sort of positive effect that makes the product more entertaining to the fans. If it weren't there would be no need to contemplate the changes.

7. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

8 conferences with 8 teams each is only 64 teams. What are you going to do with the other 56 teams?

8 conferences with 14-16 teams is the way it has to be. Unless you want to cut D-IA by almost half.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Some very good things happening right now. Pac 10 has confirmed that Texas declined Pac 10 offer. Multiple reports that Big 12 (-2) will stay together with a lucrative new tv contract.

Good news for SEC!

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

would actually be pretty funny if after a few weeks of chaos and speculation, the only thing that happened was nebraska and colorado leaving the lil dozen. :hihi:

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

If that happens, and USC tanks from sanctions, those huge lucrative tv football markets will change the channel to HGTV. I really think they will suffer if USC is not killing it on tv each week. W/out TX, what team will everyone be checking on week to week?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.