Potential SEC Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Obviously, the Florida rivalry ain't what it used to be for everyone. But having to chose between Tennessee and Auburn would be like giving your child up for adoption.

Going to College Station or some other ridiculous place, instead of Knoxville would leave most Bama fans wanting more.

2. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Screw the Pac-1! I hate California! They don't want a CCG because the current Pac-1 teams would rarely win it. This sounds like another sham like the one they pulled with the Rose Bowl. They want the best of both worlds.

West coast football can't compare to everyone else so they need to stack the deck. They have a great parade with a crappy little consolation football game and somehow they think they're the greatest. Typical California arrogance! I sure wish it would hurry up and fall into the ocean.

Just think...Texas or Oklahoma could become the first Pac school to win the BCS. :hihi:

3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

That would be funny

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

It's all good...

Actually, I'll be somewhat disappointed if the Big Ten gurus did all this heavy thinking over the past year and then decided on ...Nebraska.

The Big Ten has had a different view of things for years... staying at 10, then 11, when adding one more team seemed logical to most for the revenue and exposure of a championship game, keeping their ties to the Rose Bowl... then venturing off to start the Big Ten Network.... now the most recent move. I don't think it has anything to do with arrogance. I think it has to do with analyzing media markets, identifying schools that might fit the future needs, anticipating demographic changes, etc.

Business as usual.

5. LSUFAN910

LSUFAN910 Founding Member

Something that I have been thinking about today is that they are saying now that Texas may stay in the Big 12(10) and they believe that a ten team conference can survive. They are throwing more money at Texas to stay in the conference. They are talking as if Texas stays, all other teams will stay too. I hate the arrogance put forth by Texas and the media. How do they know that Texas A&M won't leave no matter if Texas stays or goes? I am tired of Texas and USC consistently getting their butts kissed all the time. I know they make a lot of money but damn.... This is getting ridiculous !!!!!! Can we have a go to hell Texas and go to hell USC smiley Brett??? Please :grin:

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. Locking up top programs with permanent opponent plus the conference championship makes NC runs that much more difficult and non-division schedules unequitable. Two years running the SECCG has been decided by Bama/Florida and the winner went on to the NC. Do those NC title games happen if Bama and Florida were permanent opponents? 1-1 is more likely than 2-0 in that scenario in any given season.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

all this got me thinking about how the reorganization should be going in the opposite direction. not 4 16 team superconferences, but 8 8 team conferences. all would be round robin, no stupid conf cg and each champ goes to 8 team playoff. i know it wont happen, but i really think a league isnt a league without round robin play.

8. LesMilesFan

LesMilesFan Founding Member

What about 16 team conference with two 8 team divisions. Round robin within the divisions and then a championship game?

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

thats basically what we have now, which sucks. it has a regional bias that prevents two great teams from the same superconference from advancing.

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

It only sucks because not everyone does it. If there were 8 super conferences with 14 teams in them, they play 10 round robin and then have 2 OOC games per season, then a CCG which would set the table for a playoff system of 8 teams. If all do this it would make a great ending to the seasons. Unfortunately some still don't want to play by these rules, Pac 10 to be exact. SOS would be more evenly distributed and I think it would force all of them to stop playing pansy schools. I would think that in order to get an upper hand in the SOS most programs would be looking to only schedule BCS conference programs to play as an OOC game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.