Potential SEC Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Big 12? what tradition? theyve only been around 20 yrs.

the real traditions of the B8 and SWC were busted up years ago.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Yes, but there is a common blood line there. To bust that up even more is what I am referring to.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

They just made it to year 15 in 2010. Again, not a lot of history lost here. We're talking about a hybrid conference, spawned from a shotgun wedding with the Big 8 when the SWC split apart in 1996.

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

This:
    And this:

Things change. That's life. Each school and conference is trying to do what is best for their long term success. What is wrong with that? All I care about is that LSU and the SEC move forward with prudence and that appears to be the case. I've got no problem with adding A&M or OU or Texas. I think it would be great for the SEC to get a couple more big market teams.

As far as the other conferences go, to each their own. I makes for interestingly off season discussion. At the end of the day the SEC will still be superior to anything they can put together anyway.

All you people that are afraid of Texas get over it. Texas is afraid of the SEC. They would no longer be a top dog here and that is the reason they won't come to the SEC. The academic angle is just an excuse and not even valid.

5. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

On the ESPN clip, they put up a graphic, citing the source as USA today via tax records:

Athletic Revenue per conference in millions
    Big 10 222
    ACC 173
    SEC 148
    Big 12 144
    BigEast 108
    Pac 10 97

They didn't say, but this is obviously an average per school. Since it is from tax records, who knows what is included and what is not.

Anyway, it does point to a major reason why the pac 10 is trying to expand.

Link:

Sources: Texas' Pac-10 commitment imminent - ESPN

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

The Big Ten didn't implode the Big 12 by taking Nebraska. If the Big 12 does implode, it will be the cause and effect of the way they elected to structure their conference when they merged the SWC and the Big Eight.

Other conferences have lost/gained teams and survived. The fact that the Big 12 may not survive may be more a result of some lingering illness.

7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

You maybe right about a lingering illness, and I should clarify that I mean the Pac 10 when it comes to imploding the Big 12, but the Big 10 may do the same to the Big East should it decide to grow to 16 teams. I do believe however the Big 10 is content with staying at 12 members, which they already have achieved. At any rate it isn't like I don't understand why the Big 10 and Pac 10 are trying to make changes, just that I don't agree with their tactics. The Pac 10 in particular.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

You might benefit from looking at conference revenues when evaluating products.

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Highly amusing stuff going on.. Latest info is that Big 12 is saved. Texas & aTm each to get $25 million per year and all others get $17 mill per year. Now OU fans are rioting and wanting to come to SEC.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

You are so right. The Big 10 is far from inferior. In fact, the Big 10 completely has the upper hand right now over every other conference as far as revenue goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.