Potential SEC Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

True, but I think should all the other conferences have a CCS then the Pac whatever will be forced to follow the same formula, especially should a playoff system be put in place. Also, if the Big 12 stays intact the Pac whatever plans will be foiled. They will still need to get one more team just to get to 12, much less 16. Now I am pretty confident they will be able to lure someone to come, but it won't be the likes of what they were trying to accomplish.

2. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I really don't see the Big10 fault here. They want a Championship game, they want the revenue associated with that. They also wanted Notre Dame to join. If Notre Dame would have just joined, this whole mess would be over. When Notre Dame refused to really consider it, the Big10 moved on. From what i have read, there seems to be very good reasons for Neb to move to the Big 10.

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I think where we are now all comes down to one thing. Texas wants to go to the Pac 10, but they don't want to accept the blame for the Big 12 coming apart. They'd love to leave this on Texas A&M. By saying they are going to try to save the Big XII, if the Aggies leave, Texas points the finger at them.

I think the Aggies (or anyone else in the conference for that matter) would be incredibly unwise to stick around if Texas is given what they want (their own TV network) and also if there is not an equal split of revenue the way the SEC does. If I'm A&M, I'm making the outlawing of the TV network and the revenue sharing part of a Big XII contract. If Texas doesn't want that, leaving will be on them.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

2 things.

First, some of you are taking this way to personally. CFB is a business and the commishes of teh Big 10 and Pac 10 are doing what's best for their "companies". They don't need to be slapped around, they're trying to do what's best for them, get over it.

Secondly, who gives a sh!t about who brought down the big 12. I really can't believe that's what's driving anyone's decision. I think Texas may believe the big 12 as a ten member league is their best option. There's no way, the pac-10 is the best move but they're not gonna do it because they don't want to be remembered as the school that killed the big 12.

1 person likes this.
  5. LEGACY TIGER

It's nothing personal, and I don't think anyone is taking it personal. How and why the Pac 10 and the Big 10 throw their weight around is based off of their arrogance. They think they can entice big schools like Texas by throwing out all this possible money they can make, and thinking that the only way they will make that kind of money is by joining their conference. Schools like UT don't need anyone to make the money they make. Their product and market will continue to grow without the help of some other conference. Last I looked they are doing fine financially. Now as for the Pac 10 and the Big 10 needing big schools like UT or ND to join them in order to reach the tv market goals they have, yes that is the case. Neither of those conferences could add a Appy St or ULL and have a better product. They need it to be a big school in order to achieve the financial market they are looking for.

To me it is more about keeping with tradition and doing what needs to be done internally to make their product better. If these conferences want to hang with the SEC, they need to work on making what they already have better, not go raiding other conferences, like the Big 12. The Pac 10 wants to hang with the SEC, get to 12 members, put together a CCG, and produce better on the field products. The Big 10 wants to hang with the SEC, do the same thing. Then increase you TV contracts, like Slive did with the SEC. The Big 10 has it's own network, and it brings in a ton of revenue. Of course they are going to have to take some schools from other conferences, but there is no need to implode an entire conference just to serve one conferences greed factor.

Personal, no, do what is good for college football as a whole and not just the almighty dollar, yes. You want to have a successful product, mirror and already successful conference. The SEC has already set the standard, follow their model. There is a reason that Slive is taking his time in making any decisions as to try or not to in adding more members to the SEC. We already have the best conference, with the best on the field product of any conference. Why mess with it.

6. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

No, I don't believe that Texas is going to hang around in a ten member Big 12. They are taking that stance so when A&M leaves, Texas can leave for the Pac 10 without having the finger pointed at them. You don't think national public perception plays even a part in what the Longhorns do? They are a school that cares about image. If the Aggies call their bluff, Texas will leave. Texas is just trying to do it on their terms, and the Aggies are making it tough on them.

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

And the tougher the Aggies make it on 'em, the better. :thumb:

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Just shows there are different perceptions of arrogance.

If what you say is true, then there was no reason for the SEC to tie-in with ESPN after the Big Ten anounced the Big Ten Network. All the conferences are looking at ways to reshape their wheel. It's business and has little to do with arrogance.

The great thing about the word "arrogance" is it's always used to describe someone else.

9. LEGACY TIGER

Very true, and I wouldn't say that the past reactions or motives of the SEC weren't based off of the same format. Just that the SEC did it without imploding other conferences to achieve it's goals. Which is my point. Both the Pac 10 and the Big 10 have strong markets and strong programs, due what is necessary within your own house to improve your share of that market. Others may not watch teams from the Big 10 and Pac 10 because they have an inferior product. That of course does not apply to schools like tOSU, Mich, USC, Penn St, etc, but rather in regards to the Wash, ASU's, Mich St's of those conferences. Now I know the SEC has our dogs, but there is a deeper field to watch. When in any given yr there are close to 8 teams that bring national attention then the market share grows beyond the boundries of the SEC. It is entertaining for others to watch, just for the sake of interest and being entertained. Granted having a conference that spreads over 9 states doesn't hurt the SEC, giving it a very large market to go after.

I just think the tradition of the Big 10 and the Big 12 are too great to jeopardize. Both have traditional powers, and can increase their revenue stream with the members they already have. The Pac 10 on the other hand, I can see why they need to go and get teams like UT and OU to improve what they offer. I can also see why schools like Neb and Colo would bail. Both want to be as relevant as they can be. Neb might have a greater chance getting from under the shadows of OU and UT, and Colo could be a cream of the crop program in the Pac 10. Both have their own motivation and I can see where it will benefit them.

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Best

Offseason

EVER!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.