Potential SEC Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

While this 16 team expansion might be good for the conferences overall, it is bad for the individual programs.

Take USC for example, they could possibly have to play an extra conference CG to get to the BCS, against TX or OK. How is this going to help them win championships in the future? Just look at the math, a team in the pac 10 had a 1 in 10 chance of going to the BCS, now they have a 1 in 16 chance.

Consider how good FL was under Spurrier, but because he had to play FL ST and Miami every year, he only won one NC.

Let's say they put Miami and FL St in the SEC west. Do you think that will help LSU football? I think it will likely add one more loss year per year. No matter how good you are, it is crazy to think you can play Bama, Au, Fl St, Miami, the East champ and win them all. Sometimes 3 of those games could be away.

It would be better for the SEC to stay at 12 schools, let the other super-conferences go to 16 schools, and have their very best beat up and cause injuries to each other, so we are more healthy when the BCSCG comes around.

And the arguement that bigger is better does not fly. Why not combine the SEC and Pac for 28 teams? It just gets stupid at some point. If you almost never play a team in your conference, which is what will happen at 16 teams, do you take away from the college conference experience?

I hope the SEC stays at 12 schools.

I am interested to hear the other side of the argument, so please respond with rational comments.

GEAUX TIGERS

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Spurrier only coached against Miami once while at Florida. And that was in a Bowl game.

I would prefer to stay at 12, but I'm ok with 14 teams.
    add one more team to each division.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Nice and I would consider essentially the easiest to get to come to the SEC if they were faced with the same situation that the Big12 is in. I wonder if the UF higher ups feel the same.

Wouldn't be great for expanding into new media markets but they both have large fan bases nationally to increase viewership.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

only 9 of 12 sec teams have to vote yes, so it doesnt necessarily matter what one school thinks

vt is out if you believe their ad "not even thinking about the sec at this point"

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Well if you trust Billy Liucci, owner and operator of the Maroon & White Report, Mike Slive has arrived at College Station and is there now.

http://twitter.com/billyliucci

7. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Thanks, I forgot that they quit playing that game in the 90's. Since 1980 Miami is 9-4 vs Fl. Some of those games were really important, like the 2001 sugar bowl.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

From ESPN Ticker:

A SEC AD said that SEC first choice is Texas and would consider aTm and have no plans to invite Miami, FSU, Clemson or GT

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There has to be a 14th. If Texas is out, then who?

Somehow I think the SEC is not going to make any quick changes.

10. Bobbielee

Bobbielee Fair Weather Fan

Welcome A & M they are not that good at football or football recruiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.