Potential SEC Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

There is huge speculation about SEC expansion as well as that of other conferences...but does anyone know what needs to happen for the SEC to expand?

I mean, do the presidents, athletic directors, officers from the SEC all have to agree before a team from another university s invited? Is it a one man decision or that of a board? This is a momentous decision of historic proportions that affects millions of dollars that involves many factors and lines of thought. Expansion only happens once in a blue moon. What is the process? Does anyone know?

If, in the course of two or three days, all the SEC schools actually can come to a consensus on what schools to invite, the people involved need to be in charge of coordinating the oil spill response after the decision on expansion is made because rapid decision making sure the he!! is missing on that front !!

2. dudley

dudley oops!

OK, it's pretty much settled that Texas, Texas, Oklahoma and OK State will move to the PAC 10. The Texas Board of Regents meets next Tuesday and an announcement by Texas will come after that meeting. The parasites will announce afterwards.

The jury is out on Texas A&M.

The A&M President, Bowen Loftin, is leaning to 'taking a hard look' at the SEC, whatever that means.

Bill Byrne, the athletic director is for tagging along with Texas.

Former Football coach and advisor to the President, R.C. Slocum is leaning toward the SEC I think.

Rick Perry, the Governor of Texas, who is a grad of Texas A&M has said he won't become involved, but he is leaning toward whatever is best for Rick Perry. The fact that Bill Jones, an A&M Board of Regent Member and a Perry suckup, is in the Pac 10 camp tells me all I need to know about Perry.

Here is an Aggies take on the Texas A&M board of regents.

Spence Park Soap Box — Blog — A&M Board of Regents Breakdown - how do they lean?

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think that would be a great choice for Texas, TT, OU, OSU, and the PAC10. The PAC10 gains two super powerhouses and some pretty good to damn good academic schools to boot. They also fence the SEC in somewhat (though, getting A&M keeps the door reasonably well open). And it makes good sense geographically, damn it.

PSWAC - Pacific & Southwest Athletic Conference
    Southwest Division
    1. Texas
    2. Texas Tech
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Oklahoma St
    5. Colorado
    6. Arizona
    7. Arizona St
    8. Utah (Tier 1) / Colorado St (Tier 1) / BYU (Tier 1) / Air Force (Tier 1)

Pacific Division
    1. Washington
    2. Washington St
    3. Oregon
    4. Oregon St
    5. USC
    6. UCLA
    7. Cal
    8. Stanford

One way it could be run in football is that the divisions could play seperately and then both have their champion simply play each other. With the SW Div having mostly new members (and AZ and AZSt fitting in better geographically) the almost total seperation of the two would be mostly painless. That would be 7 conference games, 4 non-conference games, and one interdivisional championship game. Of course, I think this would quickly move the power base to the SW Div, which the P Div teams probably wouldn't be super excited about...

You could also have 7 division games, 2 inter-divisional games, and 2 OOC games. That would put your rotation at playing an inter-divisional team once every 4 years. Isn't the SEC at once every 2.5 years? Not too much worse, especially considering what you gain. Or 7/3/1 to move it to 2.67 years.

:popcorn:

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

It hit me this morning and here's what I got. The new SEC will add aTm, Kansas, VT, and UNC. Giving us 12 states worth of tv market and recruiting. We will own college sports.

5. dudley

dudley oops!

Correction: I meant to say that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and OK State are going to the Pac 10. Texas A&M is yet undecided. IMO the decision will be SEC.

6. LSUFAN910

LSUFAN910 Founding Member

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

who knows. at this point im just hoping for the best for the sec and hope everyone else makes stupid and rash decisions.

i woke up this morning with the thought of hoping that some how all this would make the pac 10 (or slack10 as it was called in a previous post) explode into nothing but chaos and unworkability.

i do find it interesting as legacy pointed at previously, that while everyone else offering deals has been very visible, the sec has been very very quiet.

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

You know, I am sure your intent is to just be supportive of LSU and the SEC, but I personally do not necessarily wish ill on another conference. I mean, in the big picture, college football is the one of the greatest creations ever in the history of the U.S., and I don't want that jeopardized. The SEC will remain the best conference, and LSU an elite team - that is what I care about. I don't want the PAC-whatever to grow beyond us, but I want them to be viable. They have passionate fans just like us. Here's to college football somehow getting better overall after all of this chaos settles, and the SEC remaining a great conference and LSU a great team.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

the pac whatever does not play a conf championship game. and from what i have read, they want to have their new super conference without playing a ccg and are demanding a bcs berth for each division. if there are nothing but super conferences and a playoff system is modeled around that for all conferences, that is one thing. but to demand to be treated special under the current bcs system is arrogant at best. until there is a playoff series, one conference, one bcs berth. determine the best in your conference and live with it.

10. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

They don't have the power to "demand" to the BCS. I believe when the powers at be look at the money a CG brings in, they will decide to play one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.