Pot Going Mainstream?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Dec 30, 2015.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

We legalized gambling 25 years ago and are still broke. Our state government will fuck up any cash cow that ambles into the yard.

KyleK and Bengal B like this.
  2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Something to consider when taking your "medicine":

The federal government cannot regulate or even give advice regarding the use of pesticides on marijuana so therefore, the focus is on the individual states to regulate. Treated like any other crop, the states of Colorado and Washington have adopted rules similar to the ones in place for the use of pesticides. Oversight is slightly above nonexistent because federal dollars are unavailable to enforce.

Those states have asked the feds for clarification to assess the potential health hazards. In response, the feds imposed the following:

However, in response to requests from some states where marijuana cultivation is legal, the EPA has released a letter indicating that the Agency will accept applications for Special Local Needs (SLN) Registration for pesticides used for marijuana production in those states.​

What Are SLNs?

According to federal definition, an SLN is "an existing or imminent pest problem within a state for which the state lead agency, based upon satisfactory supporting information, has determined that an appropriate federally registered pesticide product is not sufficiently available." Candidates for SLN registration include, but are not limited to: a new method or timing of application, a changed rate, new crop, new site, new pest, development of resistance in a pest, or need for a less hazardous formulation. The SLN permits distribution and use only in the registering state.​

SLN registrations must comply with the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act, which states, in part, that the registration of a pesticide can only be authorized on the finding that it will not lead to "unreasonable adverse effects to the environment."​

Based on this requirement, the EPA strongly encourages states to pursue SLN authorizations only where a federally registered pesticide is approved for uses similar to a manner in which the SLN pesticide will be used.​

So there you go. There is no guarantee that what you put inhale is remotely safe, however the feds are finding themselves having to be inched into the regulatory affairs for the growth and distribution of a federally illegal substance. Nice.

Noteworthy: Colorado reports the marijuana industry in employs 23,000 people as budtenders, managers, or growers. Now, onto the safety of those workers asked to apply pesticides...

LaSalleAve likes this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I'm not sure since I'm not a grower, but if I'm not mistaken, most plants are grown in doors now, with hydroponics. Are pesticides even needed for indoor grows? Regardless, no one suffered any ill affects from pesticides that I'm aware of in the decades of smoking it before it was legalized. Why worry about it now?

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Most plants are grown Indoors because it is illegal to grow em outdoors. Still, when you have so many of the same plants in a concentrated space, you are gonna have pest. It is inescapable. But you have to look at the states where it is legal to grow and understand that indoors is impractical when producing a cash crop. There is still hydro, whether you are in or out. Hydro is best for large growth in small spaces. Indoors under lights is ideal because it is sunshine and controled climate 24/7, but that brings tremendous cost.

The concern here with pesticides is the fact that it is largly unregulated allowing the use of unapproved spray. Nasty shit not only for the consumer, but the worker applying it. This has little to do with the weed of 10 years ago, but more of a consequence of early legalization. This is a best case of know your grower, know the product you plan to set on fire and breathe. Otherwise, grow your own and control the quality yourself.

This is also a sign that uncle sugar is bending on the issue leading towards federal legalization followed by over regulation. Kind of proud of Colorado for making it this far. Other states have tried and folded in the process. Colorado is making gains and as long as voters see that, fire up that fatty, Dave.

TwistedTiger likes this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Monsanto is gonna fuck it up.

titoabad1 likes this.
  6. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

The hash/pot oil scene I've run across and run to it for that matter, which you basically smoke a la vape is hard to beat. The most predictable manageable buzz ever......love it. Judge me I don't care.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

All these new toys are great, but when I retire I want to see if I still remember how to roll a joint. I can still drive great with my knees, so I bet I can.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

And just 2.5 years later....

"Rates of vaping have spiked in the past decade and the U.S. vapor market is the biggest in the world, with retail sales expected to hit $5.5 billion this year."

But finally, the health science has caught up to the fad. "Vaping could damage important immune cells in the lungs and trigger inflammation, according to a study.

Inside our lungs, protective cells known as alveolar macrophages fight and eat up debris such as bacteria, dust particles and allergens. The research published in the journal Thorax published by the BMJ indicates e-cigarette vapor disables these cells."

I wonder if it will slow down when the other long-term damaging effects start to show up.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

There's adverse effects to anything you do habitually. Even exercise. It's an alternative to smoking. Certainly less damaging. Smells better and in fact often strawberries. Purported studies are mostly tobacco fighting back.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I heard of some guy who drank a shitload of carrot juice every day until it blew out his liver.

Frogleg likes this.