Portland Body Broker

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by uscvball, Mar 6, 2018.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"On July 20, a Hong Kong-flagged cargo ship departed Charleston, South Carolina, carrying thousands of containers. One of them held a lucrative commodity: body parts from dozens of dead Americans.

According to the manifest, the shipment bound for Europe included about 6,000 pounds of human remains valued at $67,204. To keep the merchandise from spoiling, the container’s temperature was set to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

The body parts came from a Portland business called MedCure Inc. A so-called body broker, MedCure profits by dissecting the bodies of altruistic donors and sending the parts to medical training and research companies.

MedCure sells or leases about 10,000 body parts from U.S. donors annually, shipping about 20 percent of them overseas, internal corporate and manifest records show. In addition to bulk cargo shipments to the Netherlands, where MedCure operates a distribution hub, the Oregon company has exported body parts to at least 22 other countries by plane or truck, the records show.

Unlike many developed nations, the United States largely does not regulate the sale of donated body parts, allowing entrepreneurs such as MedCure to expand exports rapidly during the last decade.

No other nation has an industry that can provide as convenient and reliable a supply of body parts.

Since 2008, Reuters found, U.S. body brokers have exported parts to at least 45 countries, including Italy, Israel, Mexico, China, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. Whole bodies are studied at Caribbean-based medical schools. Plastic surgeons in Germany use heads from dead Americans to practice new techniques. Thousands of parts are shipped overseas annually; a precise number cannot be calculated because no agency tracks industry exports."
    https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-bodies-export/

WTF? Are these bodies and parts due to human trafficking? This is just vile.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Hope this is fake news!

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

It very well could be a by-product to human trafficking. But I got to thinking about poor people and how much burial services cost.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1D72SL

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Hmmm, if these people donated their bodies to science and this is the result I don’t have issue with it but I’d rather see that research done in the states.