Players starting to grumble about playing time at USC.

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Oct 1, 2008.

1. khounba

khounba Founding Member

It's a bye week. Who cares.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

not 5 star prima donnas.

I agree its an overreaction in the hope of demise in the USC gauntlet but thats what people do in bye weeks.

or smoke pot.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Because (to paraphrase Jack Nicklaus) we know we are better than them, they know we are better than them and they know we know we are better than them.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

or both, but not me, im a liberal

5. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

Did this player not KNOW he would be competing for a starting spot? Wonder what the great Pete Carroll is telling them. I've always wondered why a 5 star goes to a school with such a large 5-star gauntlet in front of them. Maybe it's just player arrogance. Or could it be what he is told at the outset?

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

they want to play at a premier university in the middle of the media center LA. And they want their P.T.

the bigger question is why wouldnt an 18 yr old want to play for USC; minus that whole big man on campus thing doesnt work there. everyone else is as well.

7. clair

clair Rockets

Agreed.

If my son, nephew or whoever were being recruited and LSU were not offering him, I'd persuade him to go to USC.

You can be a backup there and go to the NFL. Don't believe me? Ask the Patriots.

8. Andouille

Andouille Guest

You can be a backup on almost any team in the SEC, especially LSU, and go to the NFL.

9. Suncoasttiger

Suncoasttiger Founding Member

I commented about this on the USF board. A poster from one of the Big Ten schools was asking how USF can be ranked so high in the weekly polls with never having a top 25 recruiting class.

Some of it is just the way players are ranked. There is certainly an amount of subjectivity to it.

But, more than that, I said that I think in USC's case, they might have "too much talent". Look at the game the other night. OSU had one back with exceptional talent, fed him the ball 40 times, and he got a real feel for the game.

USC would never let its players get into a groove. They are so worried about each 5* player getting the touches they need and the stats they need, their offense was shackled.

USC certainly has all the talent any team could want. But its "mercenary" talent. They go there to say they went there, instead of going because its really where their hearts are. Kids that play at USF want to play there, have loyalty to the coaching staff for believing in the them and have something to prove to UF and FSU and other schools that might not have offered them.

I think Grothe, the USF QB, was a 3* QB. But he's runs the USF offense with great efficiency, running and passing. He's smart, he makes good decisions, hes a winner, and he could never have gotten an offer from FSU, UF, or probably even Miami.

My opinion is just a theory, but I think it has some merit.

10. Andouille

Andouille Guest

USC tailback wants more carries

Aside from that, USC is located right in the middle of a ghetto. They also miss out on playing in the SEC in the best venues to play football week in and week out.