Plaxico Burress to serve 2 years in jail

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Aug 20, 2009.

1. clair

clair Rockets

2. clair

clair Rockets

It's not that simple.

He shot himself in a club.

If he did it at his home where he and only he was in danger, then sure. No biggie.

But what if the bullet hit the pavement and then slammed into someone else's chest?

I know it didn't, but at the same time, shooting at someone and missing is still attempted murder, so what-if's and maybe, maybe-nots are all fair game when guns are fired in public places.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

For once, I agree with her. She's right. The guy had an unregistered gun, no concealed carry license, took it into a place where it wasn't allowed anyway, etc etc. There are tons of us who are law abiding and responsible. Jerks like him go and have an accident like that and shed a bad light on carrying weapons.

4. clair

clair Rockets

1. you really should drop the whole calling me a "she" thing. ;)

But if I go to Walk-On's tonight and the dude in the booth next to me has an illegal weapon and shoots himself in the leg, I want him in jail, b/c the first thing in my head will be: "What if he would have shot me?"

That this happened to a pro football player should have no bearing on the judicial system, so like Grad said above -- for once he and I agree.

I just wanted to quote it and add to my point and everything to savor what happens once every 2-3 years. ;)

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

yeah but whats the penalty in louisiana for the same crime? i understand where you are coming from, but i am willing to bet that if plaxico burris would have been just plain ole joe burns or something, he wouldnt have gotten as harsh a sentence. this was a statement by the district attorney, and probably a political move.

6. clair

clair Rockets

go to Fred's in Baton Rouge with an unregistered gun tomorrow and shoot yourself in the foot.

Guarantee they throw the book at you.

Plax got it easy imo, b/c of his status, b/c people assumed he had no motive to actually use his gun.

A regular person wouldn't get that liberty.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

First time you ever said anything about it. Done, dude. :thumb:

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

9. clair

clair Rockets

I'm not offended or anything.

No Grad pictures on the dart board or anything.

Just thought it was time for something new to rib me about. Lord knows there is a wide variety of subject material. :hihi:

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I vascilate on this. It definitely seems harsh but I'm not the type to complain about someone being sent up for any amount of time. It seems like I read somewhere that this offense carried mandatory jail time. If they gave me the option to shorten his sentence, I wouldn't. Dude needs a little humility.