Phil Steele's Preseason All-SEC Team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, May 24, 2012.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

[​IMG]

Well, Phil loves him some Alabama offensive linemen, but with 17 LSU starters on the four-deep All-SEC team he's liking the overall talent level at LSU for sure.

Of interest . . .
    • All four LSU defensive line starters are on the team.
    • Three of four LSU defensive backs are on the team.
    • Both the LSU punter and the kicker are on the team.
    • Notably missing is 6th-year senior OG Dworazyck and capable center Lonergan.
    • Notably missing are receivers other than a 4th string Beckham.
    There is scary talent starting for LSU this year. If Dworazyck and Collins have the kind of years they are capable of, they will make this list by season's making 19 of LSU's 24 starters All-SEC caliber. If Mettenberger and the receivers can just be above average, this season will go very well.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Odell on the 4th team? lmao. Wait until Phil sees him with a QB who can get him the ball more. Kid's going to be an All American.

Thanks for sharing though.

Herb and Cajun Sensation like this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Over the years Phil has fallen off. They do a good job, but not great. OBJr. is on the 4th. team WR?

I too like PJ, Josh D will have to play some for people to notice. Collins should have a great year.
    Mingo 3rd. team? A guy that has a shot at being in the first round this year?
    Bennie Logan, 4th. team?

This is a lot like the start of last year, not much at the start, but people knew the Tigers as the season went on.......

Good post Red.

LSUTiga likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Yep, not having a QB didn't hurt RR last year with the NFL Draft.

5. ASD

ASD ASD

Duron carter being on that list is an absolute joke. Kid has done nothing on the field. I think he has 16-17 receptions. MIGHT have a touchdown. How in the hell does a guy who hasn't played beat out an Odell Beckham.....actually, how does he beat out anyone....oh I forgot.....by playing for bama;)

6. ASD

ASD ASD

Damn Tap, u beat me to Duron Carter

7. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

might be because of who his dad is, the legendary Cris Carter, who is now an ESPN analyst and a Yahoo Sports analyst. it's good for business/publicity for Phil Steele to kiss his butt some, after all, Cris Carter did say earlier this year that: "I believe Duron Carter will be one of the best wide receivers in college football," "they (Alabama) have big plans for Duron," "I'm sick and tired of people questioning his ability, because the kid really can play," etc, etc

also, note that he'll be the equivalent of a true senior next year at Bama. he redshirted all of 2011 at Bama (so he's got a year in their system), he caught 690 yards in 9 games (76.7 ypg) in 2010 JUCO, he looks really good in his highlights, he was a highly-touted recruit coming out of high school, and he has been coached personally by his dad his whole life (his dad even coached at his high school). his dad spends so much time coaching him, that he said earlier this year that: "I'm sick and tired of working out with him, sick and tired of catching balls with him."

but yeah, being that he was suspended all of spring practice, i wouldn't put him on any All-SEC teams just yet (as opposed to had he looked great in spring practice, the spring game, etc)

well, who would you put him over? Hamilton, Rogers, Swope, King, Hunter, Matthews, Blake, Moe... all those guys reasonably deserve to be higher than OBJ

the only one higher than him that is questionable is Duron Carter, because he hasn't played a Div 1 snap since he was a freshman at Ohio State... but remember OBJ's new QB hasn't played a Div 1 snap EVER

also, you could say Swope as well, since aTm should have a drop-off at QB this year, but hell, the guy did catch for 1,207 yards last year (92.8 ypg), and was 2nd Team Big 12 by the coaches behind three guys that got drafted (1st Round, 1st Round, 2nd Round)

you gotta remember that 4th Team is still great, look at the other 4th Teamers: Andre Debose and Donte Moncrief... those two guys were very highly-touted WR recruits that had seasons just as good or better than OBJ last year

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Ole Miss doesn't count? :D

wjray likes this.
  9. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Ole Miss doesn't have a WR higher than OBJ

10. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Great Post. Thanks Red. Gives insight as to the amount of talented athletes which are at Les' disposal. Lets hope all these young men have a fantastic year, and the tigers make it back to the big game.

I noticed something on this list though.. I thought that Lutzenkirchen fella from Auburn was a FB not TE?