Pelini absolutely still needs to be fired

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 19, 2020.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Wasn't a rant, was a reply to your question(s) Should Alabama fire their DC? Should Florida?

2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Just watched the replay. Here is what I am seeing

The Bad
    1. We need to tighten up our kickoff coverage
    2. We need more depth on both lines
    3. Pelini needs to tighten up coverage of QB scrambles
    4. Dropped passes
    5. Some of our guys don't wrap up well not many though.
    6. Too much showboating by some players
    The Good
    1. We got us a bonifide SEC QB and lots of depth
    2. Boutte is a bonfire star and we have a number of good WR's behind him.
    3. The line gave MJ a lot of time to throw.
    4. Josh Williams is a diamond in the rough.
    5. Play calling was superb. That 4th and 2 pass to Boutte was a thing of beauty caught OM totally off gaurd.
    6. OM's basic run game was stuffed their run yardage was mostly QB scrambles.
    7. We played hard for 60 minutes.

mctiger and BayouBengal014 like this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

My point in saying that is if Pelini should be fired because OM put up a lot of points on our D than why shouldn't the DC at both Bama an Fla be fired for the same thing. My post was for the guy who said we should fire Pelini not you.

BayouBengal014 and Bengal B like this.
  4. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

I agree with Josh Williams. I had to take a second look it almost looked like Edwards Hellaire suited up.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Since I agree with the "fire Pelini" post, I'll take the question. My answer is not to fire him because he allowed 48 points vs Ole Miss. I say fire him because he fielded the worst defense in LSU history. I see some people making the point that no one seemed to play defense this year. So let the other schools decide if they're content with that. LSU has a different standard, especially where defense is concerned. And yes, I know about the guys who left early, and Shelvin and Vincent opting out, and Brooks and Starks transferring, and Stingley being dinged up most of the year. We still had a defense with 4 and 5 star talent all over the field, and it was Pelini's job to get those guys ready. The cupboard wasn't bare, but Pelini made nothing out of the parts he had.

LSU_4_LIFE and TBTrumpet like this.
  6. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

Transitioning from 3-4 to 4-3 is a task. Defenses have to be gap sound and your weak side backer has a tall task in deciphering when to cover back side swing passes and slants and setting outside containment on outside runs. We have to be able to get to the QB with a four man rush. You can’t live by the blitz because you’re leaving someone open.

7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Bringing that kid in was a smart move by O. He is a walk on and may be our best pure one step cutback RB.

BayouBengal014 likes this.
  8. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Bradford ran well yesterday too.

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

You are more astute about defensive philosophy than I am. What I did see is we did stuff their vaunted run game but they exploited our weakness covering the back side swing pass. That happened way too often and I trust O and Pelini will clean that up or I might become a buzzards don't count on that though. Lastly we pressured the hell out of Corral last night.

BayouBengal014 likes this.
  10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

He did look good got a little wiggle about him and it looks like E likes his pass catching skills from what I see. Looks a little light in the ass hopefully we bulk him up.