Patrick Reed

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by COTiger, Jan 31, 2021.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I know we don't have many golfers on the board. For those who follow the PGA Tour & watched yesterday's telecast, what's your feelings on what Patrick Reed did on #10 where he took relief from an embedded lie. He's taking a lot of grief for not calling over his competitor who was marking his score to get his opinion on whether or not the ball was imbedded. Instead he took relief on his own. If you follow golf you know Patrick has been involved in rules controversies before. He's been labeled as a cheater by many. I see both sides of the issue. Hindsight being 20/20 he should have consulted with his marker. On the other hand a rules official on site told him he had no issue with the way he took relief and that was confirmed by the Senior Rules Official on site after the round was completed.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. COTiger

I guess no one else watched the tournament this weekend.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I saw the blimp flying over all weekend. Fucks up traffic like nobody's business. Squatter's at the beach create overflows. Torrey Pines. Glad it's over.

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

sorry, did not but have heard that reed is a jackass....

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I rarely watch golf on TV, so no, didn't see what happened. Based on your description @COTiger, I don't see a problem with what Reed did. The rules official said he was OK, then that's it. Golf is unique in that it is so adherent to its rules that it will penalize a player who violates them well after the fact. Its even enforced a rule on at least one occasion when a TV viewer called the golf course and pointed out the violation (search Craig Stadler DQ if you've never heard of that). Given that level of enforcement, if I were a tour golfer, I'd consult the officials at every opportunity, and not deviate one bit from their interpretations. Maybe its a breach of etiquette to not consult your marker, but if its not a rules violation, tough.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Golf needs a few bad boys. Somebody like John McEnroe. Throw a club. Break one. Argue with the officials. As it is now all the players are too bland. A few NASCAR style fist fights between players or even a brawl with wives and caddys involved would do wonders for the sport.

shane0911, mctiger and COTiger like this.
  7. COTiger

How could traffic have been messed up? No spectators were allowed at the tournament.

8. COTiger

If you were to take a poll among Tour players 99% would probably agree with that assessment. With one exception and that is the one week when the Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup is played. There's a reason why he's called Captain America.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

There is only 1 road in and out. Not sure if you ever did Torrey Pines, but it is top of the hill and the traffic there is already congested. Tourney weekend makes it a parking lot. Although they are not allowing spectators, the blimp brings em up like a beacon. Humans are stupid that way, especially so in La Jolla

10. COTiger

The rules officials could only make a ruling on what they were told by Reed & tournament workers. But, if they had reviewed the replays of the shot taking a bounce at least a foot in the air they could have reasonably assumed there's no way in hell a ball could imbed from a one foot drop. And Reed is guilty of piss poor judgement by not calling over his marker and/or a rules official before picking the ball up. It's not like he had a clean reputation before this incident.