Parent bought guns for suicidal teen who went on to become high school mass shooter

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Sep 14, 2017.

1. VHSTiger

VHSTiger Freshman

Is what you posted your opinion (non lawyer) or backed up by statutes?

2. Rex

Rex Founding Member

It is important to note that in mid February the Republican-controlled Senate voted to remove restrictions on gun ownership for mentally ill people.

3. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

If you have to ask, nevermind.

Bengal B likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I am not a lawyer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I don't know the statutes about purchasing firearms for minors in any state but use your noodle for something other than reflecting light off the top of your skull. It logically stands to reason that in every state actions whether willfully deliberate or simply not having the common sense to know better that directly contribute to the commission of a violent crime would legally punishable by incarceration and/or fines. Not to mention that their would certainly be civil statutes covering such a situation. If the parents have any money they won't have it after the victims' lawyers get through with them.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  5. VHSTiger

VHSTiger Freshman

I'm not a lawyer, but I did sleep in my own bed last night.
    Interesting topic. I can see portions of each sides position.

6. VHSTiger

VHSTiger Freshman

Link?

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"Congress took its final step Wednesday to repeal a Social Security Administration rule that was written to prevent mentally incompetent people from buying guns.

By law, people who have been “adjudicated as a mental defective” by a court or other authority, such as the Social Security Administration, are barred from buying guns and are supposed to be added to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS.

But federal officials trying to use the system often complained that the data were incomplete, prompting President George W. Bush to sign the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.se

Still, little was done to gather data from the various federal agencies that are in a position to know if a person lacks the mental wherewithal, especially because of mental illness, to possess a firearm.

But that rule ran afoul of Congressional Review Act, which lets Congress repeal rules within 60 legislative days of being adopted. Although the Social Security rule took years to develop, it was released in that window.

The GOP-led Senate voted 57 to 43 to revoke the rule Wednesday, following an earlier vote by the House. Independent Sen. Angus King (Maine) and Democratic Sens. Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Jon Tester (Mont.) and Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.) voted with Republicans. All five face re-election in 2018.

The regulation, however, does not say that any person with a disability would be affected. It is much more narrow. It says people who are unable to deal with their own finances ― requiring a trustee to administer them ― and are unfit because of a disability stemming from a mental problem would have their information sent to the NICS. They could also appeal. People whose mental issues do not stem from their Social Security disability are not included.

A database is only as good as the data it contains, with accuracy and completeness being paramount,” he said in proposing a measure to improve the NICS. “This database needs improvement. In that vein, my amendment requires that agencies containing relevant records make their submission to NICS a priority and provides specific guidance that federal courts are to upload their records to NICS forthwith."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ules-mentally-ill_us_58a387f2e4b0ab2d2b1a3f1b

Typical sides being taken with the exception of the Dems who wanted to get re-elected, lol. I guess morals, character, and gun rights are only as important as that taxpayer paycheck.

watson1880 likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Therein lies the problem. Weeding out the nutjobs who shouldn't be allowed firearms from anybody else who has ever sought counseling from a mental health professional. Whether you are classified as a nutjob or a regular Joe with a slight problem could well depend upon who your therapist is and what kind of mood he is in the day he examines you.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Exactly. And it's fool's folly to assume that the database is worth depending on when it clearly isn't.

10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Will gladly buy your airfare so you can move to one of those "other countries". You know one of those countries that WE will have to eventially help liberate from tyrrany with our "GUNS". First thing you leftist always do before you take citizens freedoms away is take their guns first. To answer your stupid question we need our guns to protect us from the Rex's of the world, come try to take em if you like.