Panchos

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by macatak911, Dec 8, 2006.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

green chili stew sounds good.

damned good eats forum is always giving me cravings!

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I've never heard of Panchos, but the thought of Mexican food being served buffet style is enough to turn me off. If I want true TexMex I'll eat at one of a couple of local, family owned resteraunts we've been frequenting for years.

3. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I went to the one on Siegen last weekend and it was my first Pancho's experience. My cousins used to eat there all the time so I pretty much knew what to expect. Even with incredibly low expectations I was disappointed. While I expected really terrible food for cheap, I got terrible food but it was actually more expensive than most of the other buffets around BR. I doubt I'll be going back. The only redeeming factor about that trip was I felt like I had a front row seat to a live showing of peopleofwalmart.com.

4. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Panchos just makes me think of

[​IMG]

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is a beautiful statement. I also feel that way every time I pass the Ryan's in Denham Springs on the way to my parents' house. Which, incidentally, is in the parking lot of the...Walmart.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We have about four or five in BR now. This Pancho's was once a Chinese Buffet and they didn't even remodel. They took down the Chinese decorations and put up a few Mexican paintings, but I miss the old fresco murals of the original Pancho's.

Mexican buffets are like Chinese buffets. Go to one with a full parking lot and the food will be fresh and constantly replenished. Panchos moves a lot of people through and have a large staff working the buffet tables so freshness is not an issue.

Mageys is a smaller place with a smaller crowd but they set out smaller buffet portions and they have always been fresh and much more authentic and "home-cooked" tasting than Panchos, who make things in industrial quantities.

The thing about the old Panchos was that it was so cheap. It ain't cheap any more.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Personally if you want decent assembly line mexican food, Moe's was good, and Chipotle has great cilantro lime rice.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Moe's? Good? Surely you jest. That was the most flavorless TexMex ever. I'd take Taco Bell over Moes.

#1 Chipotle
    #2 Izzos
    #3 Willy's
    #6000 Taco Bell
    #6001 Moes.

9. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I guess I need to try Chipotle then...cuz I love me some Izzo's.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Last week a buddy asked me if I wanted to go to the new Pancho's with him. When I asked him what they charge now he said about $10. We ended up spending our $10 at Golden Corral where they actually have pretty good food, especially the fried chicken.

I've been to Izzo's once. Never again. I had a "steak" burrito that was full of fat and gristle.