Opiates

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Sep 22, 2017.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I do think pharmaceutical companies share some of the blame, along with some doctors. Let's take Tramadol for example. I was told it was non narcotic and it was at the time, and non addictive, which is a load of crap. The makers of oxy said the same thing. My grandmother's husband who was a retired Air Force captain, never did a drug in his life, was prescribed oxy and they killed him. Just made his heart stop one night. Doctors in Louisiana have for years up until about a year ago have just flung out script after script of pain killers. I read there has been a script of some form of pain med written for every 1 out of 1 American in this country every year for about the last 15 years. That's insane.

As far as me, I have no desire to take any opiates. But I wanted to get off of them very badly. It was a personal goal I set and I was going to achieve it and I have. I'm not going back. The problem from a people perspective is after a while they don't get you high. They don't make you feel good, they just make you feel normal and without them you get sick, and the fear of that sickness is real as fuck. But the method I used, when I stopped I had very minor withdrawal symptoms. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

I'm lucky to be alive honestly. I've taken Fentanyl patches, oxy, roxy, morphine, Vicodin, lortab, coedine, you name it. Never did heroin though, I knew that would have been a death sentence. I'm glad the public is waking up to this shit though.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You may have. Since heroin is cheaper than oxy drug cartels press the heroin into counterfeit oxy pills.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

There is definitely some responsibility there with big pharma. Profit can drive bad behavior and the lack of true competition/insurance makes them disinterested in doing right by the public.

My mom was a registered nurse. She used to gift me a new PDR every Christmas and now I get one for myself about every 2 years. It's amazing how many drugs are named something other than what you think and what they really are. I have refused certain meds for myself and my kids based on what I read.

It was a personal goal I set and I was going to achieve it and I have. I'm not going back. The problem from a people perspective is after a while they don't get you high. They don't make you feel good, they just make you feel normal and without them you get sick, and the fear of that sickness is real as fuck. [/quote]
    Add in what I mentioned....other psych problems and you can see why the recovery "stick rate" is so low. If only the symptoms of the addiction are treated and not the underlying problems, then treatment is a waste of time. Most diagnostic treatment centers cost a ton of money and of course there are literally hundreds if not thousands of phony rehab centers that take government funding but provide no actual treatment whatsoever.

It's also likely that a high percentage of addicts have complicated their situation by spending everything they have and exhausted all means of monetary support to get their drugs. So now you have addicts who are jobless, homeless or about to be.

I'm sure there's a reason you survived. It's a gift really.....put it to good use. The world needs compassionate people.