Opening Game Comparison to 2011 Oregon

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU_4_LIFE, Sep 5, 2018.

1. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Don't shoot me yet, I'm NOT saying we're going to have a 2011 type season and I'm not overreacting. But after watching the game Sunday against Miami I couldn't help but feel very similar to the way I did after the 2011 opening game in Jerry World against Oregon. Then I thought to myself, nah, I cant compare this team to that 2011 team, we made a lot of mistakes against Miami and this team isn't on the same level as what we had in 2011.

Then a buddy at work made the comparison. Again, I said to him, nah I feel like I came away more impressed in 2011 after beating Oregon. We only feel this because of the obvious similarities (that we opened up against highly touted team in Jerry World as an underdog) there just aren't many opening season games in recent memory where the national media picks LSU to get smacked around and to the surprise of many we won the game easily in dominating fashion.

I said, I'm sure if we look up the stats on the 2 games it will show the 2011 team was much better and had a much better performance. Well, I we went ahead and looked up the stats today.

2011 vs. Oregon: LSU was 3 point underdog
    - LSU was outgained in total yards 335 to 273
    - LSU Passing Game: 104 yards on 45%
    - LSU Running Game: Total 175 yards. Ware 99 yards on 3.8 ypc and 1 TD (Spencer’s coming out party)
    - LSU Defense/ST: Gave up 4 yards per play. Didn’t allow the run game to get going & lived in Oregon’s backfield all night. Forced 4 turnovers and scored a TD while the offense took care of the ball with no turnovers. Defense gave up 2 late 4th quarter TD's in garbage time that made the score closer than it really was. 40-27

2018 vs. Miami: LSU was 3.5 point underdog
    - LSU was outgained in total yards 342 to 296
    - LSU Passing Game: 140 yards on 45%
    - LSU Running Game: Total 156 yards. Brossette 125 yards on 5.7 ypc and 2 TD’s (Nick’s coming out party?)
    - LSU Defense/ST: Gave up 4 yards per play. Didn’t allow the run game to get going & lived in Miami’s backfield all night. Forced 2 turnovers and scored a TD while the offense took care of the ball with no turnovers. Defense gave up 2 late 4th quarter TD's in garbage time that made the score closer than it really was. 33-17

This means nothing going forward other than me being surprised upon comparing the 2 games that this performance was extremely similar, not less impressive as originally thought. And because I did the research I figured Id share.

We also had a very difficult schedule in 2011 and a tough road test week 3 against a decent Mississippi State team.

kcal, TheRealist, Winston1 and 6 others like this.
  2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

ya got lucky in '11

watson1880, Brian, cul2969 and 9 others like this.
  3. LSU_4_LIFE

I agree.

Hurricane fans believe we got lucky Sunday too.

Richdog, Brian, TheRealist and 3 others like this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

We got Mathieu in 2011. Funny thing is the game before that one was against a Big 12 Texas A&M team where Tyrann wearing a different number dominated the Tannehill dude and A&M, in Dallas as well.

Brian, kcal, el005639 and 5 others like this.
  5. didit

didit Veteran Member

Oregon's offense was tougher to stop than Miami's o but Miami's d is tougher for our O than Oregon's d... If that makes sense...

ROY_LA_CA, furduknfish and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  6. LaSalleAve

That’s a really good point. I think Oregon had an all world DB suspended for that game too. Maybe I’m getting another game confused.

7. LSU_4_LIFE

Agreed. They had both Darron and De'Anthony Thomas along with Barner and James. They definitely had a high flying offense.

didit likes this.
  8. GiantDuckFan

Oregon quarterback Darron Thomas was a passenger in the car when Cliff Harris was pulled over for driving 118 mph in June 2011, and the state patrolman asked Harris during the traffic stop, "Who's got the marijuana in the car?",.. Harris replied, "We smoked it all." Cliff Harris was suspended and later kicked off the team. Darron Thomas was not disciplined, Chip saying, "I'm not punishing someone for being a passenger,"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Brian and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  9. LaSalleAve

So wait a minute. This poor bastard was pulled over by State patrolman in Oregon? Aren’t there only like 2 in the entire state? What are the chances.

10. GiantDuckFan

driving 118 mph, you're asking for it.

What are the chances? this happened to me,.. driving to KF from Eugene, my old Toyota's carb would vapor lock after climbing the near 6,000 ft to the mountains summit, shut it off for ten minutes and it would be ok,.. I used this as an opportunity to smoke a bowl... I laid the seat back and exhaled,.. opened my eyes and there were red/blue lights,.. sat up fast and there was a flashlight in my face,.. rolled down the window and watched the smoke pour out,.. doomed.

I'd stopped less than five minutes at 2am, on the top of a mountain range a hundred miles from anything, and got busted,.. what are the chances of that happening?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Brian, kcal, el005639 and 1 other person like this.