One thing I find very interesting about those complaining about an ALL-SEC NC game ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Jan 3, 2018.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

You weigh championship, record, and strength of performance/schedule, eg, the highest rated G5 champion, no higher rated than 8, gets the 6th spot. Or something like that.

2. lsu-i-like

Honestly, I don’t give a shit about team 9 in an 8 team playoff, and outside of the top P5 teams and the top G5 team, idgaf. If you don’t win on the field you can shut it. It’s a little more complicated than that, but I don’t want to bust out my full playoff proposal here. I spent a long time several years ago thinking through this with other interested parties. I love the conversation but don’t want to bore people.

3. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Do we do pms here? Send it to me. I wanna see.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I don't think its boring.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

... c'mon, what ya got?

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. lsu-i-like

I’ll try to be succinct, nothing too earth shattering. From what I can remember:
    8 TEAM PLAYOFF
    1. Top 2 teams qualify, regardless [cumm max 2]
    2. For any conference not represented, Top-8 P5 champs qualify [cumm max 7]
    3. For any conference not represented, and as positions allow, Top-12 G5 champs qualify [cumm max 8]
    4. As positions allow, Top-8 P5 and Top-12 G5 champs qualify
    5. As positions allow, top remaining teams qualify
    6 Seed teams based on end-of-season rankings (I like the computer aspect of the BCS, but there is a committee now, so whatever prevailing ranking you want to use)

7 Space playoff games 2 weeks apart following championships, which would put the final in mid-January; can’t recall if there was a better plan for this, but the idea is to help with logistics, travel, etc
    8 Quarter-finals - higher seeded team hosts (championship gets you in, but rankings still determine where a team is in the pecking order; add extra contingencies for weather in case a snow storm is expected in Michigan, for example; may want to consider playing at conference championship venue)
    9 Semi-finals and finals - use the BCS bowls in a rotating fashion similar to what is done now
    9a Consolation semi- I like the idea of the losers having one more shot at a winning season, but this is an option that a lot of people might not get behind; higher seeded team hosts

2017 QUARTER
    12 UCF [AAC-C] @ 1 Clemson [ACC-C]
    8 USC [P12-C] @ 2 Oklahoma [B12-C]
    6 Wisconsin [b10] @ 3 Georgia [SEC-C]
    5 Ohio St [B10-C] @ 4 Alabama [sec]

2017 SEMI
    1Clemson vs 4 Alabama
    2 Oklahoma vs 3 Georgia

2017 SEMI-CONSOLATION
    12 UCF @ 5 Ohio St
    8 USC @ 6 Wisconsin

2017 NC
    3 Georgia vs 4 Alabama

2017 FINAL CONSOLATION
    2 Oklahoma @ 1 Clemson
    6 Wisconsin @ 5 Ohio St

This year, the team left out is 7 Auburn. Boo hoo. In hindsight, they lost to UCF, so double boo hoo.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  7. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

you were right,.. boring,.. but we asked for it. :D

kcal, ParadiseiNC, cul2969 and 3 others like this.
  8. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

The one thing I wonder about moving the championship game to mid Jan is that some of the seniors graduate in Dec. It doesn't seem to matter around New years, does it matter if later in Jan tho?

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That really wouldn't be an issue but the players already get a long break between the end of the regular basis and the start of the playoffs. Two weeks between games is unnecessary.

10. lsu-i-like

It was more for fan travel and the logistics surrounding travel to a neutral site for football programs. Maybe you could squeeze three rounds into December/Early January, but it seems like the BCS used to have the BCS bowls a week or two into January.